Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake mosquitoes
I fished Utah Lake last evening and night and the mosquitoes were terrible. (I was at Lindon harbor.) I had plenty of repellant so they didn't bite, but it was extremely irritating to have the bugs constantly buzzing. Does anyone know of a way to keep mosquitoes away from an area? The fishing was pretty good, but I ended up leaving because I couldn't stand the bugs.
[signature]
Good luck in any effort to avoid those pesty lil critters while at the lake in the evening or at night. Most of what your hearing arent skeeters but nats. Some of those flying buffalo are so big they can fly off with a person. I had 3 keep me and the float tube up and haul me clean back to shore Sunday![laugh]
[signature]
Hey Baetisman,

Try using a lantern 25-30ft away from you. The light should attract the midges/mosquitos away from you.

Also Cabellas has a hat with mosquito netting that covers the whole head, this will keep them out of your eyes, ears, nose and mouth and folds up into the hat when not needed.

Slayerace
[signature]
We had the same problem last year but as soon as it warmed up a little they were gone. But they were gone once we left the general area of the shore too. We took out UncleRay's inflatable and once off shore the bugs thinned out fast then dissapeared entirely once it warmed up a little. We also gooped on the deet to help out a little.
[signature]
lets see all the mosquito repelant tales I can recall.

1. unscented dryer sheet

2. cooler full of dry ice

had an old guy tell me that the dryer sheet worked great but have never tryed it myself cause I didn't want to buy a whole box, so let me know if it works.

the dry ice is the same principle as the things you buy for your backyard, cause mosquitos are attracted to carbon dioxide.

well theres my 2 worthless tips someone let me know if they work.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]They roost in the bushes, and when you disturb a bush they come out in huge swarms. Try to avoid being around any vegetation.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I was reading on a bow hunting site about a Thermacell bug repellant lantern. Most of the replies about this were positive ones that said it was a great product. I don't know all the details about it but apparently you put a butane cartridge in this portable small lantern and it keeps the bugs away in a 15 foot radius. Like I said I haven't used one but they sure talked like they were a great invention on this other board.
[signature]