Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake
Fished Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning for cats on the east shore off the Airport dike. Friday got into some good channels, and several large mudcats but I didn't have a stringer with me so I let them all go. Saturday night I caught four channels and a huge mudcat. I made sure I had a keeper string this time and kept three channels and the mudcat. Sunday morning I fished from the big turn in the weedline down to the mouth of the river (Provo), and I didn't get ANYTHING!!! Night fishing has been the only time I've caught cats in the lake....and I was sure that the early mornings would be just as good..... [unsure] But the two nights more than made up for it. I found some good duck spots too if the water stays where its at..... Anyway, in the fish I kept from Saturday, I found one that was full of eggs... i hate that! I feel pretty bad about it because if I had known, I would have let her go to make some more large channels. Two were big, about four pounds or so, and the one had eggs, the other didn't. How can you guys tell if they have eggs in them or not? OR is there even a way? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, even if you can tell me there is nothing I can do about it...... Oh, and all fish were caught on crawlers on a #4 baitkeeper hook. I waded out about 75 - 100 yards....just over knee deep in the lake and then cast out to either branches or tules sticking out of the water or just out to deeper water. Hits were all no doubters. I haven't hooked a small cat yet out there..... I'm disappointed in Provo bay though.... all the spots I used to fish are all cultivated fields now.... But sounds like Lincoln Beach is still hot..... May have to make a special trip down there. It was a lot of fun except late on Saturday night when my dog had a run in with a skunk..... PEEEEE UUUUUUU!!! Poor guy, he was sneezing and stinking up the joint the whole next morning......[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey RR77, it is admirable that you wanna help insure the survival of the species, by releasing pregnant females...of any species. But, just to help you sleep better, you probably didn't tip the balance of the channel cat biomass in Utah Lake by keeping one full of eggs. After all, what is the difference in keeping one prespawn or any other time? It is still one less female. Although I agree that it is good to allow them every opportunity to drop this year's eggs if you can.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Channel cats spawn anywhere from the middle of May on into early July, depending on location and temperature. Most have probably already spawned by now. It is possible to catch both gravid (pregnant) and nongravid females at this time. The ones with a lot of eggs will usually have more distended bellies. After spawning they can look a bit more slack.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]First you should be able to recognize the difference between male and female. As we have discussed on this board before, the females tend to be more golden colored and have smaller heads in proportion to the males. The male channels often get dark colored during spawning time, and usually have wider heads. They sometimes stay dark blue-grey all year and lead to being called "blues" or "blue channels".[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The males are the ones that search out the holes in rocks that they use for spawning. They stake out their nest and attract willing females in to lay their eggs. Once the eggs are laid, the female splits and leaves the male to see to the kids getting hatched. The male will actually stay with and protect the baby cats for several days after hatching.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]During the search for the scarce spawning pockets, male channels get into some real battles over territory. After spawning you catch some with nasty wounds on them, and it is not uncommon to find dead ones washed up on the banks in popular spawning areas...like the rocky west side of Utah Lake and around Lincoln Beach.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That area off the airport has been productive for nighttime kitties for over 40 years that I know of. I used to wade it at night and pitch lures as well as soak bait. Got lots of cats, largies and walleyes in some pretty skinny water after dark. But, as you have discovered, the fish head for deeper water in the bright daylight.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good report and keep on giving those fishies some exercise.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
just fyi i went to provo fished off the left dyke and just were the reeds start to fade into the water the water is only about 1 to 2 feet deep used the worm and big red bobber and caught a 7lbs channel cat it hit so hard if i was not holding the pole i would have lost it i had 6lbs pound line drag way off so if he ran he ran" it took about 15 min and 6 or 8 runs bvut wow it went back for someone else to have the same fun... we caught about 6 mud cats all in about 3 hrs 12:00 to 3:00pm[Wink]
[signature]