Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Pineview 6/14/04
Hit Willard around 11 am from shore. Fished for an hour no wipers. The Carp were spawning though and put on a good show. Got to pineview around 12:30 and the smallies were more than willing to cooperate. The only problem is that most were dinks measuring a whopping 6" in length. Largest I caught was 15". The action is fast and those tiny smallies put up a good fight on light tackle.

Didn't try for tiger Muskie again. I can't seem to pull myself away from the smallies, lol. I can't figure out whats going on with the bigger fish. Last year they were averaging 15" with a few 17" mixed in and the ocasional 19"er. Where oh Where can I go to hook into some bigger fish? I tried Jordenelle a couple of days ago with the same result. Anyone having luck with some bigger smallmouth anywhere else? Hows deer creek for size? I have never fished it and thats the next pond on my list.

Looks like the smallmouth took hold in Pineview now they just need to grow a bit, lol.
[signature]
I hear you on that, pineview has got a ton of runts in it this year. Shoot, theres some big ones in there though. About four or five years ago, I was fishing pineview with skeeter2 and he got a 4 lb smallmouth. And even the ones BLM and I got a couple years ago were bigger than the little runts that are so prolific in there now.

I dont know that the size is going down, I would bet the big ones are still in there, theres just so many now that weeding through the small ones to get to the bigger fish is tough.

Kind of like mantua is now. Shoot, even starvation has some nice smallies in it, it will take a 3 lber to win the tournament this month,(good luck tomegun) but you will have to weed through a ton of small ones to get at that three pounder. If you fished willard at all during the spring crappie fling this year you probably saw lots of nice smallies that were two pounds or better, I did. Unfortunatly they were all on stringers.

Where have all the nice smallies gone? In my opinion, they are still around, its just that the smallmouth lakes have either a massive stunting problem due to lack of food scource, or overpopulation.

The nice thing about jordanelle is that is seems to have found a nice balance for itself, at least for the time being. Theres enough food in there to support the numbers of bass, and grow them big without them being able to overpopulate, and then eat themselves out of house and home. So, you get a nice combination of numbers and size.

Most of the other smallmouth lakes around have not been so lucky in the past few years.
[signature]
I hear you predator. My problem with the Nelle is I don't know that pond too well. It seems like the fish hold in areas that are inaccesible from shore, or I just don't know how to get to them, lol. Not much rocky structure around the boat docks and ramps but the east side looks nice to me. The only means I have of getting there is my float tube but that seems like one hell of a distance to kick. I am crazy enough to try it though Smile
[signature]
Maybe we should check out jordanelle or Deer Creek on saturday.
[signature]
I heard that Pineview was in a "cyclic low." Certain species thrive then die off slilghtly then rebuild and thrive again. I didn't think so many fisheries would have it happen at once though. Went to Echo and the same thing happened. 6" to 15". The best part is the fight those little buggers give. Also got a couple perch. Same size.
[signature]
Hey Kevin,

Jordenelle sounds good to me, I went up there today and all I can say is forget PV I found a new smallie paradise Smile
[signature]
Let me check and see if I have anything thats gonna come up. You know check with the wife. I'll let you know and Ill pm you with my Phone # again.
[signature]
You know what Kevin, I got to do the same thing, lol.
[signature]
Gotta check up with the BOSS first. LOL[pirate]
[signature]