Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming gorge
I just got a good report from the gorge from a friend who spent the weekend up there. Lots of trout and smallmouth. I will post my results when I get back.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
We went up to Flaming Gorge on Friday and had a great time. We caught and released over 80 fish. 40+ rainbows and 40+ smallmouth. No luck on the lakers or Kokes. The fishing was so good for the other fish that I wanted to spend more time catching and less time fishing. It was crazy. I went up there to target Kokes in the morning and lakers in the afternoon, but the fishing fool in me would not let me stop catching. We launched out of Cedar Springs Marina and fished all the south end of the Lake. The water temp was 59 to 61 degrees. <br>From what we saw and heard most for the Kokanee were caught in Jarvis and Hideout.<br><br><br>
My buddy was fishing th sheep creek and hideout areas. Fishing for smallmouth. Pretty much the same results. As many fish as you want to catch. I will be targeting the lake trout but hope to catch all species. Glad you had a good trip. Was there any specifics that seem to be the key? Green grubs seemed to make the difference for my friend. He fished up a bunch of craws on night for dinner and said they were all a real green color so matching the forage made a difference on the smallmouth. Trout were a bit deeper than the bass, and the bigger bass seemed to be on thier beds.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Well, here goes. Lake trout- We caught lakers off the point between swim beach and the pipeline on flat fish, along the drop up from sheep creek on rapalas, and up from kingfisher on spinners. Fish over ten pounds are down between 80 and 100 feet and smaller fish are around fifty feet. Kokanee- We caught kokanee mostly in the sheep creek area around fourty feet depths and between linwood bay and horseshoe in thirty five feet. The kokes in the canyon were all smaller. Rainbows- We caught rainbows most places, just using spinners. Mostly orund sheep creek and hideout and the lucerne marina but everyone at the fish cleaning station had trout from all over the lake. The pattern I noticed for the bigger trout was fish areas where shallow drops into deep water and longline. Smallmouth- We caught smallmouth on a stop and go retrieve using spinners in the sheep creek area. Most people were catching kokanee, they seemed to be the target of most of the anglers we talked to. The guys fishing for lake trout seemed to be concentrated in the swim beach area because of good reports from earlier in the week. We fished the main part of the bay but it wasnt until we got away from all the other anglers that we caught fish. We did see one boat pull in a huge lake trout up in anvil just where the point drops off deep. <br>Hey skeeter, do you still have that g-loomis you bought when you went to alaska? I discovered this weekend that my tackle is not up to par when it comes to fighting big lake trout. You think I would have learned that last month when my dad snapped a rod on a laker. I may need to buy that off you. We had luck on the first day with rainbows and kokanee but only had one lake trout so we left the others to pursue the big boys and that took two days to establish. A five day trip would have been perfect but by the end of four we all stunk so bad and were sunburt to a crisp plus tired out from a serious amount of fishing we decided to call it a trip and come home early. <br>WH2 I know you are headed up there so if you want any info, e-mail me and hopefully I can save you from having to locate fish and find a technique that is working. Always sucks to fish somewhere so far from home and have to start fresh. That can make fishing tough sometimes. <br>I will tell you what, I need to spend some more time figureing out this lake trout thing. As big as muskys but three times the fight. Whats better than that? O.K. Wipers are great too but its got to be a close race.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Big Lakers kick butt! Hook one thru a 10" hole in the ice and hold on! <br><br>So did you do any jigging for lakers? Sounds like the trip was a good one. Just one thing, how could you guys be stinky with a whole lake to swim and cool off in? Was the water temp over sixty yet?<br><br>
We did jig for lake trout using spoons and jigs with no success. Hopefully someday I will develop enough confidence and skill to be efficient at it. As for the stinking thing, if you dont trust me just ask my wife. Ha Ha. The water temp was just over sixty. Low sixties were the day highs.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
You can select the new user icon at the top of the page, or the log in icon and bolth will allow you to register. All it requires is a user name and an e-mail address to send your password to. There is a profile section that you can fill out if desired that tells others a bit about you. Glad to have you here.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.