Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishlake
Anyone fish fishlake lately/ I am going there this weekend for my wife's family reunion and was wondering how the fishing was.
[signature]
the fishing at fish lake is great right now!! was there last weekend and did well.. but to fish,fishlake you need a boat or tube something to get out past the weeds.. if not all you will get is small trout, perch and chubs..

dude on fish?
[signature]
i have a boat lined out for saturday, i was planning on jigging from the boat, or trolling, what did you use?
[signature]
If your getting a rental boat make sure you bring a extra anchor or ask the guy who rents the boats.

I only jig that lake and it really doesn't matter what color or size. I'd catch a few perch for bait or bring some chub or carp meat. Start by locating fish on the finder or jig the bottom for macs.
[signature]
well we jiged most the time for splak and mack's olny cought 2 small pup macks tho.. white 1 1/2" tube jig tiped with perch or chub was working the best.. but allso trolled useing popgear and worm and spinner and worm and did great on the rainbows.. go down 3 to 4 colors.. go over to the east side and find 100 feet of water or stay about 40 yards from the shour and you should be where the fish are.. i was seeing the splak and macks around the 83 to 95 feet area all around the lake..

dude on fish?
[signature]
Brownskie -- the big question and decision you have is: What are you fishing for?

Are you taking kids that need constant entertainment, or are you patient enough to fish for a big fish, but might go home empty handed?

If you are taking kids, and are just looking to catch some nice fish all day long, you have a couple options.

1. Troll. You will be able to catch nice rainbows all day long. You don't have to troll extremely deep, or use anything other than typical tackle (spinners, flatfish, needlefish, triple-teasers, pop-gear with a worm...). You always have a chance at hooking up with something bigger....

2. Jig. Go to the edge of the weeds, 20'-30' of water (you will be able to see them) and achor. Use almost any type of jigging lure (crappie jigs, tube jigs, heavy spoons, etc.). Tip them with some cut up perch. If you don't have any perch, start your day of fishing out by bait fishin on the edge of the weeds with a nightcrawler. Once you catch a couple perch (it won't take long), then start jigging with the cut bait. You should be able to pick up Splake most of the day. If you go for any time (30 mins) without catching anything, MOVE. Go 100 yards or more one direction or the other. Keep moving until you find fish, the keep fishing until they stop biting, then move again. This is a good way to catch some nice Splake, and a few rainbows. You also have a chance at something big...

If you are specifically targeting the big boys, expect to have a long day of fishing, without much success. However, the rewards can be great!

1. Troll. Use the big stuff (big Flatfish, Rapalas, etc....BIG). Troll out in deep water (70-100'). Troll specifically along the edges of drop offs. Good luck.

2. Jig. Jig out deep. (70-100'). Use the same typical stuff you would use to jig in shallower. The hard part with jigging out deep, is that you have no idea if your in a good spot or not, without a sonar. If you have a fishfinder, use it to locate some fish on the bottom, then start jigging for them. Good luck

Some people spend the entire summer at Fish Lake targeting the big Lake Trout. Most go home empty handed. But, somtimes, you hit it right, and end up with two or three fish over 40". It makes the rest of the summer worth the time spent without any action. Don't go to Fish Lake with the expectations of catching a fish over 30". You will be disappointed. Go to Fish Lake with the expectations of having some good fishing, and seeing some fantastic scenery. If you end up with a lunker, then that just makes the trip even better! The great thing about Fish Lake, is that there is always a chance (no matter what equipment, or technique you are using) of catching something big. That, is what keeps most of us going back for more!
[signature]
thanks for all the advice, appreciate it.
[signature]
One thing I learned down there. If you are catching fish, jigging in a spot, and the action slows suddenly. Stick around for a bit. That happened to me. We were catching Splake and Rainbow mixed for about an hour. The bite just stopped, and we sat fishless for a little while. Then one bite. 34" 17.5lb. laker. The smaller fish had cleared the area so they wouldn't get eaten. PBH must have put in his time down there. He left some great advice.
[signature]