Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 6/19/2004 & 6/20/2004
Thought I would try for a big kitty this weekend . Ended up with some fair sized cats but seen much bigger caught . Fished with carp meat and that seem to be the ticket . Nailed a Largemouth but lost him right at shore , caught a crappie and a couple dozen bullhead but about 20 cats for the weekend but broke off some too . Seen a meteorite burn across the sky saturday morning with a smoke trail so it might of been close to Utah . This morning seen a lot of police fly by and found out someone sunk their boat . Seen it get towed in to the marina . I will have some pics later after I get them from the photo shop . I just hope they turned out because it is hard to take a pic of yourself .
[signature]
Hard to take pic of yourself? Was it you that sunk your boat? J/K
[signature]
I was fishing alone , so I used a timer on my cheapo 35mm which I am about to chuck in the water . Not my boat , My boat is high and dry in my backyard for the last 4 years . Well my computer is about to give up .It is slowly fading , but will try to post some pics of Utah Lake fun .

Will have to try again later , unless I have a melt down .
[signature]
Ok , lets try again [Tongue]

Here's a pic of me waiting on a friend at the Marina . See what you missed . LOL

You will notice that I have a tripod with camera in the shadows . Just got to get in the right position to get it right . It really was 24" , I swear .
[signature]
I hope someone enjoys cat pics . More cat picks here , and a sinking boat in tow .I had to shoot the roll of film up . Cat5 pic is my biggest at 25.75" and I am hoping the judges will go with it . Pic was with 400 speed film and I should of got a flash but didn't and it come out grainy , but that is my luck with the big fish . Had fun trying for a 30"+ cat , but not in the cards this weekend . When I was about ready to leave , a family came to the area I was fishing . I release most fish but they didn't have any luck , so I gave them the rest of my bait and hooked 3 more fish that I gave to them before I left . Had a blast today .
[signature]
Looks like you caught that first one just barely out from the boat ramp in the channel. Wonder if that boat had a close encounter with Bird Island?
[signature]
I wasn't really paying that much attention to the boat until it was close by , but I think it was on the west side of Lincoln Point . I know I was the first there and tried my luck at the marina again and watched several boats take off . Only caught mudcats in the marina this time . Then I moved to the springs .Yesterday I hooked a Largemouth , and crappie there also in the marina .

Kent , I do owe you credit for the directions to Lincoln Beach and I did it in the dark . I think I got directions from you about a 1 and 1/2 years ago and I finally made it there . Thanks . Can't wait to do it again .
[signature]
Sorry about the no show HA69. I got stood up myself and instead of taking notes of the direction you gave me I depended on the other guy to get me there. I tried for an hour to find the place and gave up and went to strawberry instead. Wish I would of been there those are some nice cats thats the type of fishing I was looking forward to. Maybe next weekend if your up to it.
[signature]
Indeed, it got sunk alright, a friend of mine told me that the boat hit a shallow reef, and tore out the motor, ripping out the transom... rendering it unfloatable, with the water going in through where the transom once was... OUCH!!!! I'm staying the hell away from that place until the drought is over!
[signature]
Italked to the guy that owns the boat. He launched Saturday night from Pelican point and was catfishing. And catching some nice fish. He left one spot and was cruising along, heard a big bang in the back of the boat, called 911, and the boat was sunk in two minutes. He said something blew up in the back of the boat. The Ranger towed it into the harbor, and my friend pulled it up to the ramp with his truck. They were waiting for the guys wife to bring his truck and trailer.
I didn't stick around to look at the boat out of water, but he has an inboard motor and probably had a vapor explosion in the bilge. VENT YOUR BILGE BEFORE YOU START.

walleyebob
[signature]
Ummmm interesting turn of events here, I wondered if my friend from the utah valley hospital where I work, was talking about someone else and not that boat with the inboard, as he mentioned that boat had a outboard, and that the prop smashed into a reef, ripping out the transom. I wondered if the water cops had their hands full this past weekend with two boats in distress. Thanks walleyebob for that tidbit.

It is interesting to hear about that bilge vent/explosion. I had not heard about that before. Is this common among inboard? I can imagine the buildup of gas fumes inside the bilge and a spark would set it off.
[signature]
Oh one more question walleyebob, do outboards need to vent the bilge as well? I'm worried that it would happen to my Tracker as I have a bilge pump and all that. I don't recall reading in my owners manual about venting the bilge...
[signature]
Oh yeah... this confirms the story as it was reported in the Provo newspaper.

http://harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=...r=O&hold=0
[signature]
Even after copying and pasting the link I can't find the article.
[signature]
Kent, dang it didn't work, ok well go to harktheherald.com and look under "Our Town", you will see it. Click on that, and it should bring you to that article. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[url "http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=27306&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0"][#800080]Payson man rescues 3 from sinking boat[/#800080][/url]

Justin Hill THE DAILY HERALD

Payson resident Gary Bellon spent his Father's Day morning helping a dad and his two sons after their boat began sinking on Utah Lake between a quarter-mile and a half-mile offshore.

Bellon, who was at Lincoln Beach with a boat, arrived at West Valley City resident Steven Beaton's 19-foot-6-inch Starfire, which was sinking, according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office. Beaton and his sons, Aaron, 5, and Jordan, 8, were standing on the boat's bow, their feet submerged, Bellon said.

Bellon helped Beaton and his boys into his boat. The victims were safely in Bellon's boat at 7:24 a.m. and taken to shore. Nobody was injured.

"I was just glad to be of assistance," said Bellon, who, like Beaton, has an 8-year-old son and a 5-year-old son. Bellon's 8-year-old is also named Jordan.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office Central Dispatch received a call from Beaton at 6:53 a.m., according to the sheriff's office. His boat had struck something and was sinking rapidly approximately a mile west of Lincoln Beach. Units from the Utah County Sheriff's Office, Search and Rescue, Utah Lake State Park and the Payson Police Department responded.

Bellon was out at the lake to do a slalom ski run with his friend before church. He was getting ready to launch the boat when a Payson police officer asked if Bellon wouldn't mind helping.

The cause of the accident was still under investigation Sunday night, said Utah Lake State Park Ranger George Faust.
[signature]
My son and I got into them Sunday (fathers day as well) Lincoln beach seems to be the ticket .
bite seemed to stop at 10:00. Or at least turned consitently
Into Mudcats (I hate them little buggers). Using Shrimp and worm, once in a while used Mackeral strips. Great time
[signature]