Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphite rods and lightning!!!!
We were fishing Starvation Saturday and a big gray cloud came over. Everything in the boat started throwing static sparks. I lifted my rod to cast and it started buzzing and felt like I was holding onto a spark plug wire. Casted a 1/8 oz jig and when the jig finally came down and hit the water, the line stayed twenty feet in the air. It just hung there. Had to stick the rod tip in the water to pull the line out of the air. Dangerous,,yes,, but way too cool to not do it again.
Brad hid in the bottom of the boat. I couldn't stop lifting my rod tip and listening to it buzz. Learned to cast by holding the cork so it wouldn't shock me too bad.
That line, just hanging in the air is really wierd. I'll bet if you had a 1/64 oz jig, it wouldn't even land in the water. It would just hang in mid air. Didn't have time to test that theory before the cloud moved on.
Sounded like a rattlesnake was in the boat the whole time.All those graphite rods throwing static sparks to the side of the boat.
Anyway, I know it was a dumb trick, but it was interesting. Don't try this at home!!

walleyebob
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]Dumbass, you think the Starvation fish will eat burnt walleyebob and shishkebrad. Are you girls going this sat?[/size][/#804000]
[signature]
Bob you are one crazy man. I want to be the beneficiary on your life insurance; however, I imagine that I will need to take a number and wait in line!
[signature]
I would get the living heck off of the lake... nothing like being a conducer for some electricity.... Once i was in a float tube and I felt my hair stand up, and I hadda get off the lake real quick and go find some low lying place for cover! That's some bad mojo dude!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Oh look, Mommy...an electric fisherguy.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey, Bob, I hope you are not going to try to scoop Ben Franklin on the invention of electricity thing?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I experienced the same phenomenon early one morning on Willard. As I raised my graphite rod to make a cast, the old buzzing sound and the hair on my arms stood up. Unlike some silly folks, I shoved my rod down in the water and threw a rooster tail back to shore. Not easy to do in a float tube.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was in a simular situation up at scofield with Xman. We were in a boat fishing at night. Every time I lifted my pole, there was a buzzing sound. After a few times of hearing this sound, turned on the flash light and everyones hair was sticking straight up. That ended the nights fishing trip.

DTHagen
[signature]
Brad, I'll go fishin with ya anytime! You sound like one intelligent individual!

[shocked]

sm
[signature]
i cant belive that you didnt get zapped by the lighting,all the warning signs were there.I have never heard to the static electicty being so heavy that it held fishing line in the air,a graphite pole is a excellent conductor for lighting.I really hope you will think twice before you do this again.
[signature]
i cant belive that you didnt get zapped by the lighting,all the warning signs were there.I have never heard to the static electicty being so heavy that it held fishing line in the air,a graphite pole is a excellent conductor for lighting.I really hope you will think twice before you do this again.
[signature]
WalleyeBob... You lookin' to be the next recipient of the Darwin Award or what? I probably would have grabbed a life jacket, jumped overboard, and gotten the heck away from the boat until it had passed.
[signature]
Reminds me of that country-western song "What Was I Thinkin'?"

Seriously, Dude, once your line is hangin' in the air and your rods are cracklin' you are plumb nuts not to get off the water. I experienced that business with my line hanging in the air, and actually rising upward, at Flaming Gorge last summer. We boogyed to the ramp and loaded up. About the time we got it on the trailer the lightning started to cut loose all around us. I was just happy to have gotten a warning.

I'll do a lot of dumb stuff. Lightning is not on the list.
[signature]
HEY BOB HOWS THINGS? CHUCK AND I HAVE HAD THAT COOL TIC TIC TIC MANY TIMES TOGETHER. NEXT TIME PUTT DOWN THAT POLE OR WE WILL ALL BE CALLING YOU UTBUGEYE. KEN
[signature]
So how was the fishing ? I do great when it is lightin' out but I am sure it will get me someday . Missed me by 30' once and blew a chunk of tree at me . It does sound different that close . I would definitely fish with you with your magic act . LOL I know I definitely get a charge out of fishing .
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]The extremes what people wiil go to to light another cigerette. Can I have any undamaged rods left over?[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2] My Dad and I almost go hit at Strawberry once trying to the storm back to the Marina.[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2] And, huntN4bass and myself fished jordanelle amongst 8,000 lightning strikes according to Mark Eubanks.[/size][/#804000]

[#804000][size 2] You're still a dumbass[blush][/size][/#804000]
[signature]
[pirate] Damn, that's crazy dude!
[signature]
Years ago I ran from a lightning storm up at Bear Lake. I was in the water up to just below my knees at the ramp putting the boat on the the trailer when a bolt hit the water nearby. I felt the zap in my legs, but it didn't bring me down or anything. After I had been out of the water for a few minutes, I noticed a nice bright red ring around each of my legs where the water surface was when the bolt hit. It must have kind of disbursed across the surface of the water or something. Weird...
[signature]
Hey guys,it was all in the name of scientific research.

Anyway, there wasn't much point in leaving. It was an isolated thunder cloud. Five minutes after it passed, it was sunny and seventy again.

I operated an exploratory drill rig for 13 years. Can you say "really big lightning rod"?
Got hit by lightning twice. Had the whole left side of my body numb for three days after a strike hit the top of the rig at the Zenda mines above Bakersfield.
That storm was a long ways out and I thought I could get the mast up and shut the rig down before the lightning got close enough to hit us. The only reason I didn't fry was that my outriggers weren't grounded good, so it only gave me a partial charge.
So, hey,, what are the chances of getting zapped a third time?

walleyebob
[signature]
Hey Tomegun, I think we might go to Lake Powell this weekend. Not sure yet what we have planned.

We did find the walleye and some good sized smallmouth.

Problem was fishing for them and staying out of the weeds and moss. The active fish were suspended in the top of the weeds, so if you could stay just above it and not moss up, they were willing to bite. Missed a lot of fish.

walleyebob
[signature]
Since water is an good insulator, if you were not touching the bottom I doubt that lightning would ever hit you.
[signature]