Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention Archers!
I am currently shopping around for some new broad heads and was wondering what kind of heads you all shoot. What kind of animals have you taken with them and any pass throughs or not?

Thanks. BB
[signature]
I use Sonoran mechanical broadheads. They are open after impact (OAI), which helps drastically reduce the chance of deflection on a quartering shot. I've taken 3 deer with them. One was even a poor shot (guts), and that animal only went 150 yards and died. The other 2 I could have killed with field points, as both were spine shots! Those 2 stuck in the bone, but the other was a clean pass through. My father has taken one deer with them, and that arrow was a pass through. They have a unique design, and I feel that they are superior to other broadheads that open on impact. They are designed to be used on large game animals like deer, elk, and even moose! My little bro shoots the Rocky Mountain Revolutions, they open to the rear on impact. It looks like a good design, but he has not taken any animals with them. There are many choices out there, and I'm sure you'll get many opinions on them. Just get a quality broadhead, and I'm sure you wont go wrong.
[signature]
What kind of broadheads were you using before?

I shoot a 125 gr. muzzy and have taken a couple deer with them. Only one pass through when all I had was a throat shot. He went 20 yards and that was that.

The first deer was a spinal shot and he didn't twitch. The broadhead completely split the spinal cord and back bone and is still just as sharp as when I took it out of the package.

I've been real happy with them but I am a little curious about trying an expandable and see what they're like.
[signature]
I have been shooting the 100 grain Tri-Lok by game tracker. That is the only broadhead I've shot that you didn't have to adjust your sight for. They quit making them a couple years back and I only have three left. Thats why I'm looking for some new ones. I've been thinking about the thunderheads or muzzy's. The thunderheads look alot like the tri-lok, but I have seen some major damage from the muzzy. That muzzy tip does a number on bone but I haven't seen alot of pass throughs with them. I like some of the cut to the tip heads but I haven't heard how they do on bone. It still comes down to arrow placement I guess. Anything will cut the heart and lungs.
[signature]
Hey Bowboy,

Good topic and I'm sure you will receive as many different opinions as there are responses. Here is mine.

I've been hunting with bow and arrow for over 15 years. I've used several broadheads during this time. You can call me "old school", but I am totally sold on Bear Razorheads. I personally used the Bear Razorhead Lites but these were discontinued last year. They weighted 117 grains without the bleeder blade and about 120 with the bleeder blade. I now use their replacement Bear Razorhead 125. These are 125 grains with the bleeder blade. I weighed each individual broadhead from a new 6-pack and their weight only varies by about 3-4 grains, which is pretty good quality control. I shoot them WITHOUT the bleeder blades and they weigh just over 120gr. So why don't I use the bleeder blade? If you go back to physics 101, there is less surface area without the bleeder blade which leads to deeper penetration. I have killed 9 mule deer and 1 elk with these heads and only one arrow has failed to completely pass though the animal. I also worry about the bleeder blade being lost somewhere in the gut cavity and I'm scared i will cut off a finger while gutting out the critter. The bleeder blades are made to break off if they hit something hard like a rib. Another nice thing about the Bear Razorheads is you can hand sharpen the main blade with either a whetstone or I use a portable knife sharpener. That way they are always razorsharp. Finally, you can shoot these main 2-baded, broadhead into the 3D targets without any damage and then resharpen them for the hunt. Try this with the more flimsy type "razor blade" style of broadheads and they will be ruined and won't fly properly. Anyways, I can write a book about this topic and like I said there are many opionions, but I really feel that you can't go wrong with the Bear Razorheads. Heck, they've been around for about 40 years. What other broadhead can claim that?
[signature]