Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report 6-23-04
We hit Willard about 4 p.m. on Wed. afternoon and trolled the North dike area first. My friend Doug caught his first wiper on a shad rap rapala. That made the trip worth it to see his excitement. We continued trolling to the south and tried lots of different lures and no more hits. We crossed over to the south marina area and it was really shallow there so we went back to the North dike and Doug picked up one more wiper, about 2.6 lbs. We fished until 8:30 p.m. without catching any others, so I GOT SKUNKED again. Oh well. It was still fun. Other fishermen I talked to at the north marina had poor catching today as well. Only one boat had caught more than two. They were fishing along the east side in about 9 feet of water trolling along the shoreline. I took the radio and tried to call for other BFT boats several times, but got no response. Better luck to you all. Acey
[signature]
[cool]Good report, Acey. Hopefully you'll get into more of them next time. I wonder why it's slowing down a little out there right now.[:/]
[signature]
Sounds like my trip on Sunday, we only caught two but one was a 20 incher. I was fishing the North dike and caught both near the light pole. The water temp was 69* on Sunday afternoon did you get a reading today? Thanks for the report, I hope the catching improves in the next few days. WH2
[signature]
When you use your radio what channel is everybody from BFT on?
[signature]
[signature]
Hey Alan we will have to get together next week and go out
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Acey,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I and a friend were out there about the same time and same areas. We probably seen each other. Our report is about the same (nearly identical) as yours. I was thinking that wiper fishing was starting to slow until I talked with a guy who had picked up 3 and his daughter 7.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hi Coot- We were coming off Willard about 8:30 p.m. I may have talked to you without knowing who you were. I was looking for BFT decals on boats but never saw any. I wanted to say to some of the guys are you the "Old Coot" but I didn't dare for fear they would not understand what I was asking and take offense.
We were fishing in Doug's 14 foot boat that is all decked out with the center console that sticks up in the middle of the boat and has a running light board up high in the back. Sometimes I wonder how he can see to drive the thing with that console sticking up so high. He has a 50 h.p. motor on the boat so it really gets up and goes when it comes time for moving somewhere else.
I had heard good reports about the east bank but we never made it up there. He wanted to go back to the north dike and he was the captain, so I agreed. Getting his boat out into the channel from the launch ramp he hit his prop into the rocks and mud. He was not a happy camper. There goes the *&#@ $70 prop. We must have drifted too far to the side of the channel.
Did you see the orange colored sailboat in the north marina? They couldn't get it out of the marina for lack of wind, and gave up after awhile and pushed it back to the ramp and took it home. I still had a fun time. Being with Doug is like a comedy show. It sure makes for lots of memories. Good Luck to you. Acey
[signature]
WH2- The one time we checked the water temperature it was about 78 degrees, and I think that was along the middle of the North dike. I didn't think it was that hot though. Acey
[signature]