Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the deal with you Wiper fisherman?
Ok, I've been out Wiper hunting several times with my fly rod and I've been successful. I've fished from the shore (I'd rather be in a boat), I cast out and then strip my line in at various depths and speeds. I absolutely killed them with a nice steady strip into shore, I came out with over 20, 2 nights in a row, in only about 3 hrs (I'm not tooting my own horn, just mentioning it for the upcoming question).

From my understanding most of you troll for these nasties. What is the purpose of trolling rather than just casting from your boat and retrieving the lure? I'm under the impression that most of you use a planer when trolling to get the lure out away from the boat trail. Well, if you weren't trolling then the boat would not be spooking/scaring any fish. I'm just trying to understand why you troll for them. To me it's very effective to work a lure/fly in a large area before moving on.
[signature]
WHEN TROLLING WE COVER LARGER AREAS TO LOCATE ACTIVE FISH. THEN WE TROLL BACK AND FORTH IN THE PRODUCTIVE SPOT. IF WE WERE CASTING WE MIGHT WAIST TO MUTCH TIME TO LOCATE THE HUNGRY FISH.
[signature]
some of us just like to sit back and relax while trolling its alot less work then casting. ive had 20 fish night out there, but if i only catch 1 fish i consider it to be successful expecialy when i take a new wiper fisherman and they latch into there first theres nothing like seeing the look on there face
[signature]
i think i can answer this one too. to catch 20 or so wipers each time from shore is what i would call extremely lucky. usually when im fishing from shore this time of year i will have 1 good day out of 4. the wipers move around so much there really isnt a "GOOD" area to fish them. trolling covers way more area and certainly increases the odds of catching more. what you have is a area they will be holding into for about a week or so with a few days of heavy feeding in that week. next thing you know they will be gone and it will feel like a lonely place wondering where all the fish went. thats sweet you got into a area with feeding wipers consecutively. i hope it keeps up. i can say there is one thing about wipers that i know for sure and that is you cant predict he buggers.
[signature]
[reply]
What is the purpose of trolling rather than just casting from your boat and retrieving the lure? [/reply]
[signature]
hey Itchy,

I for one love to catch wipers casting,when I can that is,I have not found a good spot the last few years where I could catch them on the cast.

If you wouldn't mind leting us know where you where it would help me out.

A few years ago thats how I did catch most my wipers but like earlier said you have to find the feeding fish to get into them,The last few times out all I did was troll for them,maybe its time to cast the shorline for some fast fishing.

There is nothing like a wiper trying to rip the pole out of your hand,You dont get the rush from trolling because by the time you get the pole out of the pole holder the fish has made a few runs and has lost alot of the energy.you know what I mean because you have been catching them that way.so give it up.where were you fishing.curious minds want to know[Wink]

thanks for any info.

see you on the water,FNF
[signature]
I use side planners to cover a wider path. I like getting two side planners out (one on each side) plus two lines out the back of the boat. Some times the side planners get more action and other times the poles out the back get more action. The boat does not always spook the fish. Sometimes the fish could move off to the side and if they do they could be in the path of the side planner. Sometimes when I am letting the lure out behind the boat I catch fish before I am finished letting all of the line out. When there is two fisherman in the same boat and they both have two pole permits side planners are the best way to get four lines out with less chances of getting tangled.
[signature]
I heard (second hand) of a guy that puts on polarized glasses and takes his bike down the dike, every so often he could see them just sitting in the shallows, and then he would get off his bike and cast to them with his fly rod. Sometimes he would catch them and sometimes they would just ignore his fly, after a few good casts if he didn't catch anything he would just get back on his bike and petal some more until he came upon some more. This seems like a good idea for people who don't have a boat (or don't want to run another $150 prop into the rocks). One day soon I will try this trick and see how it works, then let everyone know.
[signature]
The guys are sooo right on every count. Like Xman said, wipers are a schoolng fish and it is very unlikely that you will find them in the same area for long but that doesn't mean you can't be lucky and catch them a few times in a row.
Like Petty said the joy of trolling comes with being able to relax and cruise around looking for the fish, when the catching begins, so does the fun. Now that the birds have started diving for the shad the catching should really improve because it is easier to find the wipers. Good luck on your next outing, my guess is that you will need it to keep being consistent. WH2
[signature]
[red][size 3]After trolling for three hours with nothing and then getting into 'em finally, you bet we stop and cast around. I always wanted to take my mountain bike out around on the dike but I thought it was a no-no? Anyone know for sure? [/size][/red]
[signature]
You can ride bikes on the dike but no motorcycles, ATVs or automobiles.
[signature]
Hey icthy, how often do you go out after wipers because if your having days like that all the time I need to come see what your doing diffrent to be cathing that many wipers in night's work

Trent
[signature]
yea where are you fishing? That would make it so the next time petty's motor poops out we could still catch some fish[Wink]. no offense petty,

jed
[signature]
I've been fishing the west dike, more on the south end. I guess I need to clear things up a bit. I've been out there numerous times and those two days were the only time I've gotten into them. I'm sure my hit and miss is due to reasons Xman explained so well. When I do get out there and fish I try to cover as much ground as I can, making my way across the dike.
[signature]
ill tell you that doenst stop people though. i have seen more 4 wheelers and dirt bikes flying around this year than another other year on the dikes. i yelled at a guy about a month ago and he just looked at me like whats his deal. where is all the rangers on the water for the $9 you guys pay to get into the marinas??????
[signature]
hey cowmilker,

i might save you some trouble with that technique and let you know it doesnt quite work that way. perhaps 3 months out of the year willard is visible enough to see fish in even with polarized. i fish with polarized and walk up and down the dikes. but im not sight fishing or trying to find fish to cast to with them. the technique is good but dont get too excited about being able to see fish and then go after them. wipers do lay there light a smallmouth would or carp or whatever. and when yo usee wipers you dont need polarized to do it. you see a blast on top of the water or a wake that you would swear was made by a shark. either way good luck out there.
[signature]