Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake (Lincoln Beach) Report 6/26/04
[cool] Well, what can I say, Lincoln rocked today!!! This fishing was a little slow, but DEFINITELY WORTH IT, as you'll see in the pics below. I got there later than I wanted to, at about 6:45 thanks to a Sherriff blocking us all off going down I-15 from 106th S. to Point of the mountain adding an extra half hour to my trip.

Anyhooters, on with the fishing part. Caught 2 Channels (and missed a few more, including a total MONSTER that was bigger than the nice one in the picture below) the first one being 3.5 lbs and 22 inches, and the other one weighing in at 8.25 lbs[Smile]. It's definitely the biggest freshwater fish I've caught yet, and he fought like hell!! I also caught 3 Bullheads or "mudcats." I'm hooked on Lincoln Beach now, and definitely see why everyone loves that place. Also ran into Ocean and fam as I was leaving and gave them the rest of my bait (hope you did well out there, ocean!) I caught the 8lb'er on a 1/0 hook with shrimp/nightcrawler combo, and the 3.5 lber I caught on chicken liver (and that's what I got most of my bites on).

Can't wait to get back out there again-that place rocks!! I wanted to do some jig and spinner flipping for whities and walleye's, but ran out of time.[Sad] Time to fillet and prepare for the fish fry!!
[signature]
[cool]I think I'll enter him in the fuzzyfisher challenge. I've got another pic with a tape measure and bft sticker in it. Good luck to the rest of you fishin' tomorrow, worshiping at the "Church of the 7th day Angler!"
[signature]
Seen some nice fish caught today . Report will come later , but my biggest was only 7# at Lincoln beach . Way to go on your fish .
[signature]
o4t i dont think its very far that you call me while im not fishing and brag about a big fish. have you been talking with yper he pulls the same stunt
[signature]
[cool]Nope, haven't talked to him. That's pretty funny though! Guess I'll have to read his post tonight to see what he caught.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks, but you probably caught more than me. I was fishing at 3rd springs, and some guys down toward the 1st springs-I heard one of them say "whoa, that looks like it's 10 pounds! And then I think they weighed it, or it sounded like they did, and I think they said 13 or 14 pounds, can't remember which. I love Lincoln Beach. There's a TON of fish there, and good sized ones too![Wink]
[signature]
That was us . Mike will have pics to post later , but he is trying to catch up on lost sleep I bet . LOL
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Now you're breakin' the code.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Congrats on a good day.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
hey nice fish i've never fished lincoln beach before is that where its open and there is those tall reads around everywhere and its just a little ways from geneva well congrats
[signature]
Way to go! Looks like you had a great day. If you see my post, the fish are smaller but better looking. Those big ones sure are ugly but tons of fun to catch.
[signature]
Fished lincon beach with HA69 Saturday morning. The fishing was a little slow but we did land a few nice ones. We caught a 26.5", 28" 9lb and the lady next to us caught a 31" 13.5lb cat fish. The 4th picture is the 9lber swimming away after it was released.
[signature]
Nice fish MGB, I bet that is your first shore trip in a while. What were you guys using? WH2
[signature]
Your right Curt, Its been four or five years since since I've shore fished and about six years since I've caught a channel cat. We where using shrimp with worm.
[signature]
I caught my 26.5" cat on a carp head . I was running low on carp meat and had the heads left so I fished them on a 6/0 hook . I did get another fish to eat one but lost him . Shrimp and worm was fishing better than the carp saturday , but last week I could keep them off the carp . Glad to see Mike made it home after only a few hours of sleep friday .
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey Champ, I don't think you meant to respond to my post to get the info on Lincoln Beach, but I will reply. Lincoln Beach is at far southern end of Utah Lake, reached by taking a turnoff in Spanish Fork.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There have been detailed directions given on past posts to reach Lincoln Beach. Go back trough some of the recent threads on Lincoln Beach and you should find them. If not, I am sure Kent (or someone else) will be happy to post them again.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Lincoln Beach is a fish magnet for a couple of reasons. First, it is one of the few areas around Utah Lake that has "structure". The bottom is composed of volcanic rock, with lots of cracks and crevices for fish to snuggle in. Second, there are some warm springs that come into the lake here and the fish are especially attracted during the colder water months.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The rocks and stickups make this area tough to fish if you bounce jigs or fish bait on the bottom. There is a lot of "donated" tackle out there. But, if you fish bait below a bobber, to keep your terminal tackle just up off the bottom, you can have some good action while reducing your number of snagged outfits.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the big appeals to many anglers is that you can almost always find a couple of different species willing to play. Most guys start with the big channel cats this time of year. The smaller "mud cats" often keep you occupied while you are waiting for "Mr. Big". If you want different action, there are often white bass or a couple of walleyes to bring home for the table. At times, depending on where and how you fish, you can also score some nice bluegill and crappies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]It's an area that is user friendly, even if it lacks tall pines and clear water. There isn't much esthetic appeal. But, if you wanna wrestle some big cats, with the chance for side action on other species, it is tough to beat it.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
This has been a great year a Utah lake, a lot more reports of big cats and its been going on for over a month now. In years past, it is just a couple of weeks around the first of June. Great catch on the big cat Randy, how early did you guys start fishing? WH2
[signature]
I think we got there about 4:30am and fished till 2:00pm . I filleted 2 of the smaller cats and they both were full of eggs . So the spawn is still going on .
[signature]
Some nice cats!!! Sure is strange seeing Mike fishing on dry land though[shocked]

I'm going to Lincoln on Monday morning any pointers you can give me on getting into those big cats?
[signature]
What some people will do to have the chance to win a $250 fishing tourney. Way to go Mike.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks, T.D. I've learned a lot of my catfishing techniques from those on this board, and you are one of them. I've gotta get out there in my tube and chuck some jigs for them, that way I'll stay cooler and probably catch more too (and more variety).
[signature]