Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor
Went out fishing today and saw a person with a trolling motor on their float tube!! Thought that was kind of funny[laugh]
[signature]

Hey there ND,

Be nice now! We have a couple of posters that have such an creature. If I get older and greyer, I might look at the 3 different manufacturers that make motorized tubes myself.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Bassmaster ND, they may look funny, but for some folks they do serve a purpose. I personally think that putting power on a TRUE float tube is like bringing a gun to a knife fight. It is just wrong. The whole purpose of a float tube is quiet, hands-free fishing...on waters that are not fished as well from a boat or the bank.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Howsomever, there are so many different shapes, sizes and options in float tubes and pontoon craft anymore that some of them can be easily adapted to add power. As we have posted here in the past...with pics...there are a couple of manufacturers that make auxiliary floatation systems to hold trolling motors and batteries.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Some tubaholics simply are lazy and want help in moving over the water. Others have physical impairments that are helped with outside power. Still others like to troll from their craft, and heavy kicking can wear you out in a hurry. The trolling motor does have its place.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will say that they make more sense on a pontoon, where they can be easily mounted on the special brackets now being provided on some models. Even if a craft comes without a motor mount, they can be easily fashioned on most regular frames.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]So, while a motor is not in my tubing future, I do not throw rocks at those who buy and use them. They may look funny, but the guy using one is going to go farther and faster than I can. I won't be laughing when I am trying to kick my way back to my vehicle against a strong breeze, while he is sitting in his deck chair on the shore, hoisting a cold one.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I wasnt making fun of those with trolling motors on their tubes, It was just that I've never seen it before. Hell, if I ever get a float tube I'd probably put one on too[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That's cool. Just don't plan on a bow mount with foot controls. It's tough to run them while you are wearing fins.[/size][/blue]
[signature]
lol[laugh] Very true[Wink]
[signature]