Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper fishing, isn't it the best!!!
Well you guys were right, Bear lake Mac and I were fishing willard tonight and got into some topwater action. It did not last long and the boils were spotty but it was top water action and good to see. Mike, they were in the same area you told me about but closer to the light pole. WH2 <br><br>
Glad to hear it! At least there is some temporary consistancy to the fishing. I am getting multiple reports of guys doing well while guys fishing the same area are not. Maybee we can find the combination of lure color, size, taste, retrieve speed, and depth the fish are prefering and even up the odds. <br>Yep, wipers are the best. And in my opinion this site is the best palce for information about them. We have people who are dedicated to fishing for wipers and people who put thier heads into figuring out how to catch them, but the nicest thing is people willing to share thier info, success, and failures. <br>Its still a strange year at willard.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Fished willard again last night. Trolled around a bit, found a good boil. There was a couple idiots who couldnt catch the fish and got upset so they decided to ruin it for everyone by firing up thier boat and driving right through the boil. Some people are just dorks. Trolled around again and got a few more fish here and there. Headed to the island and found a boil about twenty yards off the bouy. Caught fish until I absolutley had to go to get to work on time and the fish were still biting. There were two other boats on the boil and they must have thought I was insane to leave when the fishing was good, but duty calls and there is always tommorow for wipers. I only got into two real good boils and the rest were just small sporadic ones. I lost five fish due to less than sharp hooks so if you are headed out do a quick equipment check to ensure maximum fishing success. Just a hint from my failures. Jigs and cranks are working for me, the bigger fish seem to be coming on the cranks, this may be a depth issue or just a preference. Good luck all, and be safe this weekend theres lots of drunks and morons out on the water this weekend.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Hey wiper hunter & predator,I have been watching your posts and have a question,what crank baits do u2 like to troll,and what do u2 throw when there on top.and what time do the biols usally start at night,had a fun day on the 23rd fishing the NW corner,Had my kids into them for 2hrs,we caught and released 14 wipers and one slab crappie,but they have moved out and am not getting any,new to this and need some pionters.Thanks for any info.Tony<br><br>
Over the years I have used such a huge combination of lures and I expect that it will continue to change. I started out fishing the channel in the spring using white and pink grubs, and have caught wipers on fire tiger bombers, black and blue bitsy bugs, pearl white jigs, various rapalas, and a whole other arsenal of lures. Currently I am using rattle traps and chartruse jigs. The other day I was throwing buzz baits, spinnerbaits, yozuri crystal minnows, rattle traps, and chartruse jigs. I fished a week or so ago with wiper hunter 2 and we discussed tackle, he uses a whole different combination of lures than I do. I fish with skeeter a lot and he uses a totally different set up than either of us. P.S. skeeter fishes willard as much as I do, he just doesnt post up as often. Bottom line is that everyone catches fish with different lures. I believe that lure selection does play a part in success, but more on the part of lure size rather than name and type. (this is for willard wipers) The critical roles once you have selected a lure become lure depth and speed. In my expirience you can throw out a bunch of different lures and troll them at the same speed, they will all get a fish, but the ones running at the right depth will out produce the rest. Now for the boils, lure speed seems to be slow, and lure depth is shallow so use a lure that is appropriate. We all like to think we have a special lure that gets us wipers but the truth is the best lure changes every couple of years as our tackle grows. Just ask skeeter, his special bait changes every year out there. My advice is find a lure that catches you fish in every situation, deep, shallow, channel, boils, trolling, ect. Spend time on the water perfecting your technique with all of them and catch a bunch of fish. Hope this doesnt confuse or frustrate matters, but its the truth. I am sure the stuff I was using years ago still works, and I am sure that there are lures out there that work better than what I am currintly using. The trick is to find the lure and then find out how to use it. Also, I dont know how many wipers have been caught on spinner harnesses fishing for walleye. <br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
As far a spinner harnesses go, I have a friend that drags nothing but wedding bands with red beads with a worm attached for wipers and does pretty good. You could never talk him into lipless cranks, grub jigs, etc. Why? He found what suits and works for him and he knows how to fish them.<br><br>I've also caught wipers on worm harneses but it was a matter of coincidence while trying to catch walleyes. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BearLakeMack on 07/03/02 09:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Curious how fast he drags the wedding bands? It is interesting to learn the multiple ways that various species of fish can be caught. Many of us, including myself, get stuck in a rut fishing the same old way.<br><br>
He uses swiveled trolling sinkers or three ways and trolls 2-3 mph. He'll vary the depth with the weight and distance behind the boat. I can't catch anything but walleyes doing it but last time he went out he caught seven wipers during the morning on the south dike and a couple walleyes; and at wiper trolling speeds!<br><br>The point is, he was raised trolling for trout and is using what has work for him on one species and translated it to another.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BearLakeMack on 07/03/02 04:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
I caught over 10 walleye at Willard last year trolling Rapalas at wiper speeds. If a walleye (or a channel cat) really wants to it can swim fast enough to catch up to a fast trolled lure. Appartenly, Tom Pettengill catches most of his walleye, at Deer Creek, trolling at a fast clip. He also catches many of his wipers trolling over 4 mph. When I get up to about 3 mph I feel like I am going too fast. I will occasionally sneak up to 3.5 mph, but I never seem to stay that fast for very long.<br><br>
Predator is right, it seems to change from year to year, last year white curly tail jigs worked for topwater trolling and casting, this year green curly tail jigs work better. As far as finding the wipers, its just a matter of spending time on the water until you find them. Start where you caught them last time and expand your search, wipers don't go very far from day to day but can move to the other side of the lake in a week. Also<br>like Predator and Mac said the depth is all important, finding a lure that will go to the right depth is as important as what lure you use. Talk to the different tackle shops and ask what people have been buying and catching the most wipers on. The guy at Hooked in Kaysville is a good place to try, you can also try Anglers Inn or Sportmans Warehouse in Riverdale. Good Luck, WH2<br><br>
Me and my wife went out on the 4th,we looked every where,couldnt find a good number of them anywhere,she caught 2,the bad thing is I told her to put the pool in the rod holder,and she did until right at dusk,we where trolling white jigs,she had the pole resting on the seat right in front of her,lets just say the biggest wiper of the day took her fishing pole in about half of a second,we both laughed and decided it was time to go home.SO if you guys come accross a blue colored med action bass rod,and a BASS reel,gold color,let me know,it may be off the east side of the island.about 100yds.DAMN I LOVE WPER FISHING.<br>Later,Tony.<br><br>
well jeremy, lead heads as in any fishing situation are selected with two things in mind. 1) depth. 2) speed. First you figure out how deep you need to be. Next how fast you need to reel or troll to entice thie fish. Trolling fast and getting deep requires a heavier head. Slower and heavier will get you deep. Faster and lighter will get you shallow. I have used everyting from 3/8 oz. to 1/16 oz. heads. Another thing to consider when choosing leadheads is activity levels of the fish. For real aggressive fish I like to use a shorter shank hook. When the water is colder and the wipers arent as active you may find yourself getting short strikes and missing fish. A quick remedy is to put on a longer shank hook. I have seen more than one day when this made the difference. I am tired of the quality of hooks that you get with jig heads. I am so close to pouring my own and using good quality hooks. Wipers just put up such a fight that before long, you cant even catch a fish on the hook anymore because it just bends over flat. <br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
E mail Tube Dude if you want some tips on pouring your own jig heads, you might get more info than you want but he knows his stuff. I've got his E mail address if you want. WH2<br><br>
Not to be spamming or anything but Custom Sports in Hyde Park will pour your jig heads with any type of hook you would like. You can have Gamukatsu's or VMC (my personal fravorite) or anything they have in stock. Why buy molds when someone else will do all the work for you for virtually nothing!<br><br>
The price is not really the issue here (although you are right in that you can pick up some really good buys), in some cases it cost more for the individual to make them than it dose to buy them.<br><br>It is more that it gives you a greater sense of accomplishment as well as increases the whole fishing experience when you make your own lures. <br>That is one of the main reason Fly Fishing had become as popular as it did.<br><br><br>So long as I get some kind of enjoyment out of it I will continue to make some of my own when I have the time<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave