Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report 07/02/04 Second best day this year
It sure wasn't a 40 wiper day but we did catch 14 wipers and one walleye. The hot ticket was the prism shad and the area was the north dike. The fish were moving around but they stayed active from 8:30 am, when we arrived, until 2pm, when we left. Water temp was 73* when we arrived and 77* when we left. There were a lot of boats out there today over twenty in the area where we were fishing and at times it was hard, not to get in each others way. We also tried the S/E corner and the S/W corner but only caught one. I got a chance to check out Wiperslayer's new boat today, very nice and it was a great day to break it in. Thanks Wiperslayer and PTSlayer for a great trip.
[signature]
WH2, great report! I will be going there next saturday.

How is the north marina's condition as far as loading and unloading boats go? Predator or BLM said that we may have until first week of July before the water disappears...
[signature]
there is a small island i marked just out of the north marina about 200yrds that was only 1.8ft under water, watchout out there for the water hazards.
[signature]
I know last weekend there were some good size boats launching from the south marina but I think that during the week it is closed for dredging. I do know the south marina is just like the north marina, as far as when you come out of the channel of both you have to keep an close eye out for islands and other underwater chunks of rocks. In another week or so, some of these islands will be above the water and easier to see. I think you will be able to launch for a few more weeks, just go slow as you go out and keep your prop up if you can. Good luck. WH2
[signature]
Hi- I fished Willard on Saturday and someone had put a pop bottle buoy on the hump in the north marina just out from the boat ramp (the one we hit last week). We used the electric trolling motor to get out of the marina so we wouldn't repeat that mistake, and then Doug started up the big 50 hp outboard. We planned to fish the east bank so he headed straight south out only about a 100 yards from the bank and got cruising about 30 mph when we ran the prop into the shallow sand bar there. Talk about a thump. It scared the heck out of me. It is a good thing I was holding on. I thought I was going to go overboard. Doug climbed out to check the prop and he was standing in a eighteen inches of water. Luckily it didn't ruin the engine, only took some metal off the prop, so we were still able to go fishing.

We each only got 1 wiper, but we learned a lot of things to try next time from the anglers we spoke to after getting the boat out. I realized I wasn't lettting enough line out and the fish were still spooked. I need to get a side planer board for the wipers too. We were told the wipers are staging out in the middle more now and down about three feet below the shad. Is that the same presentation that you were using? I have appreciated the suggestions anglers have given me to help me be successful. Acey
[signature]
We hit the same sand bar in the marina but I guess I forget to mention the sand bar that is on the south side after you go out of the channel.

[size 5]For anyone that hasn't read my post from earlier this year, there are two islands that are underwater on the left and right side after you go out the channel of the north marina. The island on the right is all rock, the island on the left is mainly a sand bar but it also has rocks. When you leave the North marina go straight out for at least two hundred yards before going north or south. There are a lot of underwater ridges if you head toward the swim beach or the outlet so your best bet is to stay away from that area unless you are very brave or.........[/size]

Acey, our lures were going about 6 or 7 ft deep but I would say that any given day or time might be different so your best bet is to try everything and never stay in one area if they aren't biting, good luck. WH2
[signature]