Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Questions...... help
recently i have made it a mission to find largemouth in pineview, i have fished a little of the south fork, and a little of the middle fork, what i want to know is what areas of pineveiw hold the best numbers. also has anyone caught largies of some size( over a pound)? i have gone 3 times so far and i average one large mouth to every 10 smallies. i did get one largemouth that went about 2 1/2 pounds on a 6inch lizard rigged no weight in the middle fork brush. thanx for any help anyone can give me!

joe

utcatman
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]The biomass of Pineview has really changed over the years. Used to be maintained as a trout fishery, and the warm waters of summer resulted in heavy anchor worm infestations every year.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't know how long the crappies, sunfish, bullhead cats and largemouths were in there, before they had competition from smallmouth, perch and tiger muskies. But, before the latter three additions, there used to be some fantastic largemouth and crappie fishing.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are still crappies and largemouths in Pineview, but they are a small percentage of the overall population. You have to know your stuff to catch them regularly, and you have to have some luck to go along with skill.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Most largies to come out of Pineview today are caught almost accidentally, by folks fishing for smallies...or even muskies on large lures. But, there are a couple of things you can do if you want to increase your odds of scoring on the old greenfish.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]First, look for visible stickups along dirt banks, rather than the rocky shorelines favored more by the smallies. If you can find some real thick stuff, break out the flipping gear. Otherwise, tubes, spider jigs, worms and lizards will all get the job done. Oh yeah, don't forget the jig and pig. Great stuff for Pineview largies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Colors? Early spring go with black and chartreuse. As the fish move shallow in May, go to smoke sparkle plastics. Also, a Rapala Fat Rap in shallow coves will call some in too. Silver with black back and an orange throat is best, but the chartreuse back is good in colored water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]When the spawned out fish go deeper, find them in 15 to 20 feet, off long points or over underwater humps. Smoke sparkle spider jigs or all black 6" worms or lizards work well too. If they are slow, go down to a black 3" twister on a light head. Of course, Senkos in all the good crawdad colors will work too. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In spring and fall you can get some decent topwater action in the shallow coves and next to shoreline cover. Shallow spinner baits, buzzbaits and poppers can call up some largies ready to do battle.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The problem with fishing for largemouths is that you are likely to be disappointed by the occasional smallmouth...or even a tiger fish. The habitat of smallmouths and largemouths do overlap, and muskies are fond of much of the same cover as largies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The largemouth in Pineview have never reached huge sizes. A four or five pounder is a big one, and most will be under two pounds. But, if you can find a spot where they have moved in and left the smallies behind, you can still have some multi fish days on fish big enough to keep you happy.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]A couple more observations. Like warm water fish everywhere, largemouth will seek out the spots where the water warms fastest in the spring and fall. This usually means the northern banks and coves on the lake, where the sun can have the greatest warming effect. If you walk the banks, or move slowly with the trolling motor, you can sometimes see them hanging just below the surface in shallow water, soaking up the early spring sunshine. They may not hit at that time, but it will tip you off to where they may be holding nearby when they are not sunning.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]And, when the temps start to drop in the fall, fish big plastics (crawdad imitations) deep along fast sloping banks. And, mud banks are sometimes better than rocky ones. There are a couple of spots in the northwest end of the lake that have those banks, and hula grubs or spider jigs in smoke sparkle or light purple used to pick up a lot of largies.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Be sure to make good use of your sonar in the fall months too. Sometimes you can find groups of mixed crappies and school sized largemouths hanging out together at mid depth off long points. Staying back and casting a light head (slow falling) and smoke sparkle grub can get a lot of "pop on the drop" fish. I have caught doubles using a tandem rig...and sometimes a bass on one and a crappie on the other.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Above all else, put in your time on the lake. Keep a log and read everything you can posted by other anglers. If someone catches a largie by accident, chances are there will be more in the area. Take largemouth tackle and tactics to that area and fish patiently. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Sometimes low and slow works better for the largemouth. On other occasions, as we have all seen, they will crash a fast trolled muskie plug. As I have been known to mutter on more than one occasion, largemouths just ain't got no respect for fisherpersons.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]And, anybody who claims to be able to catch largemouths every time out...on any water...will lie about other things too.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]