Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended fishing line:
I realize this has been asked before but-----------.

I'm looking to replace my fishing line on my spinning reels. Am looking for light tackle, spinning, 6# test, medium/light action rod, abrasion resistant, reasonably invisible in Utah waters, limp/castable, with heavy use. What's the latest recommendations/opinions?

Tube Dude - are you still recommending Silver Thread Excalibur?

[unsure]Leaky
Hey leaky, I would even recommend the Excalibur Silver Thread. Ever since my dad turned me on to it, I bought more of it and use it like crazy. At the 4 and 6lb strengths it handles all my freshwater needs.

If you saw the LMB that I posted about a month ago, they were 7 1/4, 8 1/2 and 10lbs. They all were handled on the Excalibur. I think my dad taught me well enough to be able to help others.

It has all the qualities that you aformentioned as well as being a low memory line. I've had some brands of line that can remember a fishing spot for me. They were so bad.

I'm sure that you won't be dissappointed with the Excalibur if you haven't already tried it.
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

Silver thread. I believe Dan Hernandez loves the line with the brand or product name of Silver Strand. These wouldn't be one in the same line with a different name would it?

JapanRon
[signature]
I don't think they are related. The Silver Thread is exclusive from Excalibur and I believe it is only available from Cabelas. I've looked around many other places for it without success.
[signature]
here's a guy on ebay selling excalibur silver thread 4lb, 8 lb, 20 lb, 25 lb

$4 + 1.50 postage for 300 yard spool if anybody's interested

go to [url "http://www.ebay.com"]www.ebay.com[/url] and search for item numbers:

4 - [font "Arial"][size 2]3687264592[/size][/font]

8 - [font "Arial"][size 2]3687264647[/size][/font]

20 - [font "Arial"][size 2]3687264580[/size][/font]

25 - [font "Arial"][size 2]3687264587[/size][/font]

[cool]

sm
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up Southernman. That is a good price. I usually by the 1000ft rolls but those are still a bargain.[cool]

Are you coming out with Powermaker next weekend????
[signature]
Thanks guys, tubeN2 and TD,

Put in an order for Silver Thread Ex. which seems that I can't go wrong with. Wish Sportsman's carried it. The "Red cajun" (Ut forum) sounds interesting, espescially since Smith and Ewards carries it.

[Smile]Leaky
yah i think im comin on down!

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sm
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Sorry for the delayed response on the float tube forum, my friend. I am sure you saw my dissertation on the Utah board.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Try that stuff and give it a good workout. I think you will like it. It is plenty soft for good casting, but it is tough in the stickups and rocks too. If you learned how to tie good knots, then you won't have any fish breaking your knots either. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are times when that stuff is almost too good. Anything heavier than 6# test is almost impossible to break when you are float tubing and get a snag that won't let go. You have to really kick back and haul on the line at the same time. Just don't be holding the line in your hand or you will get a good line cut. With 6# and heavier it is not unusual to straighten the hook out on your jig or lure, rather than breaking the line when you are snagged.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let us know how you like it when you get some spooled up.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
2 weeks ago I spooled up 6 pound Stren Magnaflex on one of my spinning reels for trout. I'm very impressed with it so far[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2725;]
[signature]
Hey TD,

Looked at the 8 pnd test auction item on E-Bay, Is this the same stuff??? Excalibur silver thread ultra tough? Has a different look to the packaging and comes in smaller spools than at cabellas. Is this what you get?

[url "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3687264647#ebayphotohosting"][Image: 80_2.JPG][/url]

I'm thinking about bidding and giving the line a try but want to be sure I am getting the line we all talk abou t[unsure]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]That should be the same stuff. At least it says the same thing on the spools I have. They do change their packaging from time to time and the 1000 yard spools look different than the 300 yard ones.[/size][/blue]
[signature]