Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube
Hello all,
I was just given an older float tube and fins, how do I use them, any tricks? I have never been in one and would like to know a little about them before I head on out and make a fool of myself. Thanks
[signature]

Hey there DanielJRioux,

Congrats on the floatie! Now.... please (Am I being pushy) describe the creature to us so we have some input to work on for some suggestions. There are a lot of different types of swim fins out there too. so....

Nothing wrong with an older tube..... unless you start to build for it and when you upgrade..... some of your stuff is not suitable to switch to the new craft.

Have you checked it for leaks, seams pulling apart, cover/shell beginning to deteriorate, etc? That's the first thing I would do.

If it's been well used, it might even be reasonable to pull the bladder(s) to see if they've been patched and further check the area around the air filler.

Looking forward to hearing about float tube #1 for you.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Good suggestions from our esteemed JapanRon. Let us know the make and model and we can pick it up from there. Also, if you want some basic background and introduction to the whole float tubing business, shoot me a PM and I can send you some individual chapters on everything from putting a system together to tackle and techniques, to handling problems on the water, etc.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Also, are you gearing up mostly for trout, or will be you be going after some of the other critters too?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey JapanRon,

The make is a Trout Traps Pro 350. The exterior shell is now clean with one pocket seam ripped out but other than that all the zippers work and there are no other rips. The two tubes that came with it, the main tube and the back rest tube both hold air and have not been patched, I took them out and and cleaned them and water tested them.

I has 3 pockets on each side with one being a big pocket and two small pockets. The Neoprene seat is in good condition with no rips and tears and the straps holding it are heavy duty and in good shape. It has a patch for flies also.

The fins seem to be weak fins from The Creek Company, they are in ok shape. I have a pair of rocket fins and a pair of jet fins, from my Navy deep sea diver days, that I would use instead.

Since this was given to me I will not be spending any money on it but seeing if I like to tube before I buy a really nice one.

thanks for all your help.
[signature]
[cool][url "http://www.trouttraps.com/"][#ffffff][Image: pro350.gif][/#ffffff][/url][blue][size 1]Hey DJR, here is a pic for the benefit of anyone who might like to relate to what we are talking about. The specs I pulled up on it are that it is rated for 350 pounds and it retails for about $275. It has a good reputation among float tubers and is well made...in spite of the fact that you have a failed seam. Most craft suffer an occasional seam failure...especially on the pockets if some dufus tries to stuff too much tackle or gear in the pocket and then zips it shut under pressure.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]At 15 pounds, it is considered heavy for making any long pack-in trips, but you should be able to trudge it in a ways to a good launch spot by balancing it on your head.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The fins are important. They need to be large enough to accomodate your waders without constricting your feet. That makes for cramping and will make your feet get cold faster in chilly water...lack of circulation.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I got your PM and will send a few pages on the basics to get you primed. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Welcome to the "donut dunkers" society.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yep, that is my tube, I would say in a little better shape than mine though. I know something about fins, it came with the job, that is why I will use my jet fins. Much better fit and I used them for a while so they are form fitted to my feet. I hope to enjoy the new past time, if I have any past time to enjoy it in. Thanks,
[signature]
Hey congrats on the freebie! I too was fairly new to tubin this past spring. I tried in the mid 70's but wow was that hard on the pumping, (if you catch my drift). Now though I love it! Heck I average more time in my tube on the water each week than home in front of the other tube, or so I'm told.
[signature]
I started tubing also in the mid to late 70s. I have learned from experience that it is bad for your tube to let it dry out. I do everything that I can to keep it wet(floating).[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Don, being a float tuber does not make you a bad person. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I used to have a poster that said "God does not subtract from your life those days spent in fishing." I would like ot think that float tubing added a few days to your life. I know it certainly makes the days more worthwhile that you are out on the water.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Speaking of which, have you been doing any damage lately?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL, TD2 you got that right

LOL, yeppers Pat, I agree with all that.

As far as damage I might have caused lately, you mean away from home, right? Welllll, I finally spent a weekend at Starvation. Nothing major to report, a few small eyes and few smallies. It was pretty bright and most all seemed to be snuggling up to the weed beds and along the mud lines. I even worked the waters from my tube at night until 11:30pm but the bite was even slower. Then I couldnt drag my butt out of bed at 3am to get back at it. Oh well. But hey, you'd be proud of me. I actually put my fins on for the first time in about 50 tubin' runs, lol! Hey, I figured I should make sure they still fit. HA!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Don, I have a real hankerin' to go play on Starvation myself. I haven't fished it since they added 'eyes and smallies. Used to be fighting your way through a jillion chubs to catch an occasional cutt or brown. Now I guess the new guys have pretty well eliminated the former tenants.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I don't mind playing with small 'eyes and bass on light tackle. The junior sizes are great eating and that lake doesn't get all the idiot traffic of some of the other lakes.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I'll count on you to guide me to some fishies over there. Fair nuff?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat you know I will. Btw ,, what was that comment you made about that lake dont get the idiot traffic other lakes do? Sorry to report it ol'e buddy but apparently its been to long since you've been there, lol! Heck even the boys with badges are on PWC's![laugh] Although I must say I didnt have to put up with a lot of crap from boaters and what not. Most of them stayed well out in the main channel or pestered the tourny fishermen, LOL!
[signature]