Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry flavored liver
A lady I work with says her husband has caught lots of catfish with taking chicken liver and sprinkling it with stawberry jello and using that for bait. Have any of you tried this and if you have how did it work? Raypaw<br><br>Cant change yesterday<br>cant change tommorow<br>can change today so lets get busy
have yet to try jello on my chicken livers but i do use sea salt lightly on them. it toughens em up just right for catin<br><br>Gamakatsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
Gamakatsu...sea salt? Would ordinary table salt work? I've always wondered how to toughen liver for cattin' besides to par-boil it. Doing that just seems to diminish it's potency. Sea salt is expensive, much more than table salt. Unless you live next to the sea, and I'm in the middle of the USA...<br>I won't try anything until you give a reply...but thanks for the insight!<br><br><br>&lt;--^----&lt; The big one got away...with my pole, boat, and wife!<br>
a box of sea salt is cheap here in washington state....I prefer sea salt because it is IODINE free....I'm sure you can just use PLAIN table salt ( Iodine free of course ) and remember it only takes as much as you would need if you were planin on eatin them yourself. and once out on the water i keep a small cooler of ice handy and store them in tupperware to keep them fresh, I prefer them that way, but others let them air dry a little before puttin on a hook.<br><br>Gamakatsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
that non-iodine salt would be called Koser or pickling salt for those who want to find it on the shelf of their local market<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave
Iodine free salt is also sold by the morton salt co. in the same blue canister as table salt except the label reads PLAIN. happy hookin<br><br>Gamakatsu &lt;*(((&gt;{<br>
Salt is also good for toughening beef blood as it gels.My Dad used to stop by the slaughter house and just hold a 2-gallon coffee can under the cow head as it drained blood from an open vein. Then he'd add a couple of handfuls of salt. By the time we were ready to bait the trotline, it was tough enough to stay on the hook all night. Of course it didn't take all night for a catfish to find it.<br> Just another of those wonderful boyhood memories.<br><br>
John wow a big ball of blood what self respecting catfish could resist that bait yum yum Raypaw<br><br>Cant change yesterday<br>cant change tommorow<br>can change today so lets get busy
Worked great, raypaw. My Dad would cut the beef blood into cubes with his treasured Buck knife and slip the hook inside. Down the hook went about three feet below the surface. We'd fish the bank for about three hours while he sucked on his pint of moonshine (Yes, they still brew it in Texas, even today, you just have to know where to go).<br><br>