Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Raypaw
Hey Grandad! Just kidding, I'm not your grandson, but I am a veteran, and being a much younger veteran I thought you'd like the greeting.<br>Here's my question(s)...you mentioned orange globes for your Coleman lantern. I didn't see them at WalMart, and living in Southern Illinois that's about the only place I can find anything for the lanterns. Do you know where I can get one? <br>2nd - You grew up in Rockford...I grew up in Detroit, well actually everywhere else too(Air Force brat - then I went Regular Army) But my Mom & Dad are from Carrollton, IL and Jerseyville, IL - both about 20 miles apart and small towns. My Dad taught me to fish, and we compete with each other no matter what species we fish for. It's always funny how, when one wins, the other is berated with sneers and jeers...but that's the whole fun of it. That's how we make it fun for ourselves. We've been doing that for years, since I was a small child. Hey! Dad started it!<br>3rd - What's this tip about softener sheets in your shirt pockets for skeeters? Does that really work? I have to tell you, Pop, that mosquitos want my soul, I think. They come after me like stink on poop. They want my butt so bad that I usually end up on the other side of the lake or river I'm fishing because they picked me up to take me to their Queen for "dinner". I've tried everything, and most work, but I don't want to smell like I work at DOW Chemical, you know what I mean? Plus, from experience, I found if you dowse your body with OFF or other deet products and touch the bait the fish won't bite; I don't blame them...when I was a kid and picked my nose I learned a valuable lesson. But softener sheets? What brand, if not any? And what if your clothes were dried using the stuff in the first place? Wouldn't that have an effect? <br>Just a few questions for the wisened ol' Gran'Pa.<br>Thanks for any other advise you give to people, and ignore the ignorant.<br><br><br>&lt;--^----&lt; The big one got away...with my pole, boat, and wife!<br>
Brian enjoyed your post I am a grandpa 11 grandkids 3 greatgrand kids. I ordered two amber colored globes for my coleman lanterns here is where I got them www.nobugsglobe.com and they work great they dont attract bugs and the fabric softner sheets work for us keeps those skeeters away some people rub it on their skin I just put it shirt pocket belt loops and under my hat they keep them from biting me dont know why but works for me. My wife and I always compete to see who catches the most fish thats lots of fun. good fishing to you bug free we hope. Raypaw<br><br>Cant change yesterday<br>cant change tommorow<br>can change today so lets get busy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Raypaw on 07/10/02 02:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
The very first thing you have to do is to stop attracting them first.<br><br>Stay away from sweet smelling colognes and sweet smelling deodorants, they draw them peeter eaters in faster than my mama could draw us kids in with Ice-cream on a hot summer day. (When she said Ice we wer there for she could get out the word cream)<br><br>That is most likely your biggest problem with them sketers no amount of raid will last as long as your deodorant. (Go with unscented or better yet get some deer hunters soap deodorant)<br><br>This includes your shampoo as well. skeeters are attracted to your sweet body sent and the sweeter you smell the faster you are going to get a bite and I don’t mean the fish.<br><br>This is the mane reason that women had turned away from the outdoor sport of fishing in the last 70 years because they became bug magnets with all their skin softeners and perfumes and body oils, they attracted bees moths skeeters and nats.<br><br>You herd the old joke that old fisherman never die, they just smell that way? Well there is a great deal of truth there, I’m not saying to Waller in a hog swaller (although it would work for sure) I am saying use natural unscented soaps and hygiene products when you plan to venture in to the woods or on the lake. <br><br>There should be a line of deer hunting products on the superstore link above (Bass Pro Shop) where you can order. This alone, for many people is enough to make the trip tolerable. <br><br>Yes, you are right about the fish smelling the stench from the bug spray. I use a concentrate from a drop bottle brand. Applying it to my exposed skin very stingingly. Then I use a bar of soap (lava) that I carry in my tackle-box to wash my hands, (often it was my job to do the refueling of the car and boat on the way to our fishing spot. Oatmeal scented soaps work well then I rub dirt in my hands and rinse away all the rest of the sent of raid from my hands.<br><br>Now when I handle my bait and lures there is no chance of the fish smelling my sketer repellent and I am sketer free.<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>For Kids Sake <br>Recycle your old Equipment<br>Dave