Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My float tubing adventure
[size 1]I have made up my mind that I'm getting a float tube[cool]. I'm tired of fishing from shore all the time and a float tube is the next best thing for all the small lakes that I fish. Here's the one I'm thinking about getting:[/size][url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0018136316970a&navAction=jump&navCount=3&indexId=cat360010&podId=0018136&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat360010&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcontent%2FPod%2F01%2F81%2F36%2Fp018136ii01.jpg"][size 1][/size][/url][size 1] [Image: i316970sq01.jpg]
[Image: spacer.gif]
[/size][url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0018136316970a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat360010&podId=0018136&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat360010&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431"][size 1]Trout Unlimited Bighorn Float Tube[/size][/url][size 1]
[/size][size 1][#000000]$125.00

[/#000000][/size] [ol] [li][size 1][#000000]Is it easy to cast a spinning reel in a float tube? [/#000000][/size] [li][size 1][#000000]Is it easy to work lures? I'd be using crankbaits, worms, tubes and other bass tackle.[/#000000][/size] [li][size 1][#000000]Could I put a depth finder on this tube?

[/#000000]Any information you have for me would be appreciated[cool].

Thanks[/size]
[/li][/ol]
[signature]
Hey there BassmasterND. Welcome to the club. You will be able to further enjoy many happy hours of fishing while in your new tube.

The majority of your casting techniques will be virtually the same. The only difference is that you will be closer to the water and in a sitting position. If you decide to use a flyrod, you will have to modify slightly. You will also be able to develope another technique called vertical jigging.

All of your normal presentations will work just the same but with the advantage of being able to work horizontally with the shorelines.

There are numerous accessories that you can use on your tube including rod holders, fish finders and other speacialty stuff. We'll get into those as we go and as you build up more confidence with your new water craft.

I'm sure that you will have lots of questions. Please feel free to look through the numerous past posts so that you may get some ideas on types of rod holder mountings, fishfinder mountings, and other misc connections for other options.

Once again, welcome to the world of tubing.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Good thinking and good craft. The Trout Unlimited tubes are quality stuff. I powered around in one of the Kennebecs for a couple of years before getting into the Super Fat Cat.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Is there a reason why you feel you need a flyrod? Most tubers are all-tackle and all-species fishermen. The fly-flingers are probably in the minority these days. Once you get used to the feel of the mobility and stability of the "poor man's bass boat" I think you will wonder why you never tried it before.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Shoot me a PM with your email address on it and I will send you some introductory chapters out of my (unpublished) book on tubing. Some of those chapters deal with the different kinds of tackle and techniques that work best from a donut dinghy. I also cover how to get set up with all the necessaries...and unnecessaries...like sonar, rod racks and all that stuff. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you haven't already done so, torture yourself by wandering back through some of the basics on past threads. Should give you a better idea of what you are getting yourself in for.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Oh yeah, welcome to the neighborhood.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info T2[cool]
[signature]
I've always wanted to get into fly fishing. We have some great trout and bass lakes in my neck of the woods and their are always people fly fishing with and without tubes and are catching fish. It's really hard to get the trout to bite on anything other than a fly on top with they are surfacing. Thanks for the book offer[cool]
[signature]

Hey there Bassmaster-ND,

Congrats on becoming (soon) one of the tubing fraternity! As you might guess us tubers (no not vegtables) are pretty serious about out floats.

At the risk of being rude
Or even looking like a snook
What you'll need first from TubeDude
Is his wonderful book

We are all eager answerers......... as well as questioners.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Why Ron, I never knew that you were so poetic. Charming.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If we all gang up on our new recruit we should have him tricked out and productive in no time. He probably doesn't know yet what he has gotten himself into.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, I tried to warn him but he wouldn't listen. I figured he must be half crazy so that only makes him a..............Tuber. I did forget to tell him though that there is no known cure for intubeitis.[unsure] You can only create a level of comfort by keeping your tube wet.
[signature]
Intubeitis . . . so thats what my problem has been! My 'toon hasn't seen the water for at least 2 1/2 months. Every time I go out into the garage I can hear it crying, then again the crying may be from me. Hard to tell.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey T2...and ES...ain't it strange that we have a medical anomaly here? It seems that the cause is the cure...or something like that.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey Nate, the clock is ticking down until I'll be "back in town"...or at least in state. I hope the reason you have been neglecting to hit the water is to save some fish for me.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
"The cause is the cure . . ." No anomalies about that at all, I think its called addiction.

I have defitnally saved a fish or two for you. I took a neighbor out to the bubble up last weekend for a couple of hours and brought home a 21" channel. I had several bullhead on but lost them, too impatient for them to take the bait. I need to get some circle hooks I think.

We cooked it up in cornbread batter and had some dill sauce handy. My daughter loved her 'kittie crispies.' So I guess I better go catch some more . . .
[signature]
Hey ES, You can't go wrong with the circle hooks. You just set it and forget it. Once you feel the thump, just start reeling in. They won't come out until you take it out.

I would hate to get one of those snagged in my tube.[pirate]

I use them alot for kittys and many of the toothy critters in the big Salty.
[signature]
I'm jealous that you are able to have the fishing options you do. I can't complain too much though being where I am. I've landed 5 different spieces of fish in the past couple of months (bank fishing) and none of them were trout. The only thing I haven't caught in Utah Lake are crappie, bluegill, and LMB.

See you later!
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]Get yourself a good lifejacket or pfd(personal floatation device) that won't hamper your fishing, but will keep your head above water.[/size][/#804000]
[signature]

Hey there EmuScud,

I feel your pain. But..... I have put a sheet of peg board between where I have my tube hung and the gear I take out to fish the open-party boats. Even though I did this, it didn't fool Stealthy.... from whom I getting the silent treatment.

The last time I took 'em out, I didn't even really fish seriously as I just wanted to test some new gear. Well.... that's what I 'claim' anyways.... ha ha ha.

In our neck of the woods there is some awesome tubing on the salty side but I just can't resist the luxury yacht treatment! It's pretty hard making a breakfast burrito on a float tube stripping apron!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey JR, you need to get a better apron. This is the rigid model (top of a Rubbermaid plastic bin) TubeBabe uses...and loves it.[/size][/blue]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5574;]

[#0000ff][size 1]TubeN2 refers to it as a "sushi board".[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There's no denying the creature comforts on a well appointed boat...and of course the increased range. Tough to kick over to Catalina, or even out to the Horseshoe Kelp.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
There's also the problem of where to put the little gas grill[Tongue] to cook with. There is a ton of fishing by me that is readily accessible by bank or wading. Plus I recently got rid of my old beater car which I would strap my toon to the roof of. I didn't care if it got scratched, dinged, or had a slight smell of fish. Now is a different story. I've been tempted to unload the pontoon and go with a fishcat 4 so I could transport it easier.
[signature]
Hey ES, I'm sure you would enjoy the FC4. I have one of those and it is very comparable the the Super Fat Cat. You still ride mostly out of the water and have plenty of room for the Sushi board. I'm sure you've seen planty of the pics from TubeDudes rig which is actually the same design that they used for the FishCat4.

As far as flexibility goes in fishing spots, we only have more salt water fishing spots. I wished that we had as many freshwater spots that were as good as most of the spots used to be in UT.

I guess that's why we go through changes. Just to see if there are more fish on the other side of the lake.
[signature]
When do you inflate the tubes, at arrival or at home?
[signature]
I will generally leave my tube partially inflated and top it off once you get to the lake. If you don't have room in your vehicle, but DO have a good pump, then you can almost fully deflate the tube for transport and inflate it rapidly when you arrive at your fishing site.
[signature]