Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is finally warming up and so is the fishing.
Bear Lake Fishing Report

[size 3]Updated Thursday, July 15, 2004 [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]The surface water temperature is 66 F. The cutthroat trout run is over for the year and the large, adult cutthroat which haven't eaten for the last month during their spawning season, have started to feed again. The fishing has been good this past week, however there haven't been many fishermen on the "big pond". Don't overlook Bear Lake at this time of year. Yes, there are a lot of jet skiers and water skiers on water in the middle of the day, but there are still 90 square miles of water and most of the popular fishing areas are not used by the recreationists, with the exception of the "rockpile" area due to its location directly in front of the Ideal Beach/Blue Water Beach Resort areas. Fishing for cutthroat trout has been good off the east side anywhere from Val's Pump north to the Idaho State Park. The best luck has been on small spoons (triple teasers, kokanee kings, etc.) trolled at 60-70 feet near the bottom using downriggers. Some other good spots to try are off the South Eden and North Eden canyon mouths. In the early mornings there is usually a canyon breeze which will blow insects (mainly hoppers) out onto the surface of the water. Try using lures that imitate grasshoppers (spoons, rapalas, and F5-F7 flatfish work well) and try trolling them on long lines near the surface. Pay attention to surface for feeding fish and try trolling along areas where you see "lines" of floating debris. Sometimes you can even catch fish by casting right on the surface of the water in the early mornings or late evenings. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]The best bet for lake trout at this time of year is by still-fishing whole cisco along the bottom in relatively deep water. Start around 70 feet and work out to 120 until you find active fish. Lake trout are relatively lethargic at this time of year and spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom in the cold water. Since they are not very active you may have to keep moving in order to put your bait right in front of their noses. [/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Other typically productive spots at this time of the year are off the mouth of Swan Creek and from the Bear Lake Stat Park marina south to the Azure Cove marina. The entire lake, including the mouths of tributaries are now open to fishing. Anglers launching at the Bear Lake State Park marina have 7 launching lanes, a new vistor's center, a fish cleaning station, and additional bathrooms/showers. Anglers can also launch small boats off the low-water boat ramp at Cisco Beach and a dock is now provided at this site. This ramp is paved, but there is no protection from the wind and the concrete does not extend very far into the water. Use at your own discretion.[/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]
thanks for the info, i was about to ask whats happening at bear lake,looks like i might be up that way on the weekend of the 24th.couple of questions maybe someone can answer for me.
1,is there a good map of bear lake that i can buy?
2,being from outside for both utah and idaho,do i need a license,for both idaho and utah,or is there a stamp i can buy to fish either side?
[signature]
[size 2]1. Three maps attached to this reply, just save and print!!![/size]

[size 2]2. Just need either a Utah or Idaho license to fish from a boat. Not sure if this applies from shore though!![/size]
[signature]
fish1on,thanks the maps were exactly what i was looking for.
[signature]
You can fish either side of the main body of Bear Lake (including from shore) using EITHER a UT or ID fishing license. There is no reciprical stamp needed. However, if you want to fish the tributaries then you would need the respective states' license depending on if you're fishing in UT or ID tribs.
[signature]
thanks bear lake fish guy,thats exactly what i need to know,hopefully we will be fishing from my boat.
[signature]
Thanks for the info BLFG. I tried jigging them last weekend, but all they would do is look at it, even tipped with cisco. Numerous fish came up a few feet off the bottom for look only to go back down. I think I'll try flat lining on the east side in the morning hours next time.

I've updated one of the maps Fish1On posted. The updated one is at [url "http://home.comcast.net/~thumbrock/map.htm"]http://home.comcast.net/~thumbrock/map.htm[/url] and there's a link there if you want a REALLY big detailed one (almost 3 Meg). I still need to add/correct some land marks and symbols when I find some time.
[signature]