Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Last night
Went to Willard and can still get out the north marina, there is one spot that comes up quick but once your past that it is smooth sailing.
Trolled the old reliable Producer. Action was pretty slow so I decided to try a little modification to a Producer lure in the boat .
I noticed that on one of my old producer that had a few scratches on it that it had a silver colored undercoating.. so I took a dime out and rubbed off the paint so it was mostly silver. started trolling that and man did my luck change.. the wipers hit it with a vengeance.
my fishing partners all started rubbing their lures right after I boated my 4th wiper. We ended up with 10 between three of us and 2 Walleyes.
we were out from about 4:30 -dark.
[signature]
Great report,what part of the paint did you rub off, was it the top were the blue paint is? I've always wondered why the wipers like the blue back producer when the fish are more of a silver color this time of the year. Maybe you have hit on something, it could be that they take a blue back because it is the closest to the real thing but I can sure understand why they like an all silver producer. How fast were you trolling and what was the water temp? Thanks for any info. WH2
[signature]
I didnt catch the water temp but we were going about 2.5-2.8 mile an hour. my dad tryed a white flat fish and it worked too.
I left the top on it and just rubbed off the body of the lure. there were still some black specks of paint left on it and I think that gave it a more life like appearance.. I dont know but it sure worked.. caught several over 20"
[signature]