Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge questions
I am going to Flaming Gorge this week and I would like to know kind of tackle I should use to catch fish from the shore. I've had success with smallmouth bass on recent trips, but is there any way to catch trout or kokes from the shore? The bass seemed to bite anything I threw at them, but is there a specific lure that does really well? We will be camping near Jarvies canyon on the lower end of the lake.
Its been a few weeks sence I've been up there in the float tube but, most of the bows I caught (other than on bait) were taking (red) wedding rings I'd toss at em from shore and tip with 1/4 - 1/2 a crawler. I would suppose anything simular would have done as well. The main bite came early to mid morning and late afternoon until dark. Stick baits didnt seem to have the same appeal. I also caught a couple pup Macks tossing Wedding Rings tip with crawler from shore..
Good luck and Knock em dead!
[signature]
Welcome aboard BFT. When I lived in Wyo., I used to pull into coves with the boat and fish form the shore sometimes while I stoped to hike and have lunch. I had good success using worms and power bait. I would put a small marshmellow on the hook first, so that the bait would float up off the bottom 5-6 inches. Add a small weight on your line so you can cast out from shore. Good luck.
[signature]
Plastics baits work best for me leadhead jigs with curly tails, tubes or worms use diffrent colors until you find what works best. Try to cast out about 5 - 15 ft and work your lure along the bank Vs. out and straight back into bank them it sink as much as you dare without snaging bumping the rocks is good but easier to snag. Hopes this helps ya, I can't help with Mack's or Koke's.
[signature]
well you got lots of good info about the bass,as for the kokes the chances of catching one from shore are almost nil.they like to hang in deeper water,iam not saying you wont catch kokes,just never heard of any one doing it from shore.i like to throw small spinner's,rapala's.or spoon's from shore,and you might catch amack or two cruiseing the shoreline.worm's,marshmello's and cheese work well also from shore.
[signature]