Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua
Went to Mantua for the first time and fished for bass because I had heard that trout fishing goes off about 10 am and I didn't get there until after. Caught about 2 million 8-10 in large mouth. They seem to go for about anything, I was using a green popper and a grass hopper fly. Remember, you can't keep any, it's catch and release only. I don't really understand this since there are so many and may very well end up stunted, but that's the way it is. I'm going to try for trout next time since I met some folks that had reasonable success for trout, even during mid day on olive woolly buggers.<br><br>
I agree it seems like they are goin to stunt, but mantua is so rich with big life and new baby fish to eat each year thier just going to get bigger. They just put bass in there a few years ago and the bass are just doing what bass do, the bass are just filling up every available spot in the lake. Most fish are already at that magical fish eating size of 10 inches for a bass, so they can now eat all the small bluegill and baby bass, stocked rainbows, etc. etc. or atleast the bugs befor they stunt.<br><br>Anyhow pretty fun fishing up there, did you catch any big bluegills? they're caught right along with all the bass.<br><br>
Hey FrozenFish, good hearing from you. I caught a few blue gill but nothing of size. Any suggestions where to fish for those guys. I'd think Pelican Lake is pretty tough to beat, they have considerable numbers of large mouth there too. Trouble is that's a good distance to go and it's buggyer than h--l there.<br>Leaky<br><br>
We can only hope that the DWR will keep planting fingerling rainbows. Excellent feed for Bass!<br><br>
Glad to hear the largemouth fishing was good. Were you tube fishing? or boating? Topwater out of a tube would be neat.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
hi predator,<br> I was in a float tube in the s.e. channel using grass hopper fly and a green top water popper. Beware, the bass are small but in a few years it should be good if nothing bad happens. You ever been there? Any suggestions? That was my first. My favorite is still Jordanelle! They're having a bass tourn. there this week end so I'm staying away. Where's your favorite? What about Utah Lake for large mouth? I'm still staying away from Willard because of bugs, people, and my method of preferred fishing (shore/float tube).<br>Leaky<br><br>
Yeah, I live right here in corinne so Mantua is even closer than willard bay. I caught a six pounder this year out of there in the spring. I used to catch lots of good largemouth out of there, but after they poisoned it a few years back the fish seem to be getting smaller. This may be because they made the lake catch and release only and there is so many that the fish are stunted. With all the new activity from the trout stocking, the pressure has really gone up on that little body of water, years back you could go up there and only bump into maybee one other boat on a saturday, but now that the trout are in there it is tough to find a parking spot on tuesday. I still enjoy the fishery from time to time, but the average size largemouth seems to be on the decrease. Too bad because that was an AWESOME fishery a few years back.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Well, I have caught the most bluegill and some pretty nice sized ones (all are generally fat) on the west dike, over by the wood boat dock and the outlet, great thing about these bluegill is you dont have to worry about parisites if you decied to keep them, I've only been fishing mantua for 2 years but to me the general size of the bass seems to have goten bigger. And quiet a few times when i've hooked a smaller bass and im bringing it in a bigger bass usually decieds to go after it, really gets you going!<br><br>