Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing with the Challengers
Well I decided to go fishing with the Challengers -- a nice 1 1/2 day charter out of Pierpoint landing on the Aztec.<br><br>Anyway, about 5 days before the charter, Nolan calls me up and says that there’s an open spot on the trip. I hadn’t really planned <br>on going, but apparently Leo Liu had to pick his parents up from the airport, and couldn’t make the trip. I <br>can’t understand how that would be more important than a fishing trip, but then again I’m not that bright. <br><br>So I looked at my schedule, and unfortunately, I couldn’t give Nolan a good enough excuse not to go on the <br>trip. So I joined up with the gang Saturday night at Pierpoint Landing. One of the first people I met was <br>Steve Showler. In the past, I’ve been on trips with Steve, and when he’s boarded, he’s screamed “It’s going <br>to be a long F**king boat ride!” <br> <br>So I asked him “Will it be a boat ride this time Steve?” Instead of his usual warcry, he said “Actually, the <br>signs all point to good fishing this trip.” With that amount of enthusiasm, I knew we couldn’t fail! <br> <br>Armed with my new Relief Band, and a pre-swallowed tablet of Marezine, I confidently boarded the Aztec. I had already tested the Relief Band on a half day twilight trip and it <br>worked like the proverbial charm. After listening to David the deckhand discuss the coming fishing, and <br>preparing my lines correctly, I went down to sleep with good feelings and great confidence. <br> <br>During the middle of the night, the Marezine wore off and in spite of the best electric shock efforts of my <br>Relief Band, I woke up a bit seasick. Not to worry, a quickly swallowed Marezine and off I went. By 8 in <br>the morning, we were about 120 miles out and we were already catching albacore! The trolling teams were <br>barely starting to troll when they got bit time and time again. The first time my team trolled I didn’t even <br>get the rod out before Pam Sharp got bit. Even Nolan hadn’t thrown his feather out either! <br> <br>Around this time I believe, although I am not sure, I chummed the waters, losing the latest Marezine, and <br>the battle with seasickness. Aside from myself, Larry Natsume and a few other folks were a bit under the <br>weather. But that didn’t stop the fishing! I saw guest Jeff Mckellar pull in a nice albacore. Richard Smith, <br>Don Smith’s son was pulling in longfin with a spinning reel! Lynn Adams cast from the second row to get <br>bit. Chris Johnson and Jimmy Wong each had 3 albacore and I hadn’t even chummed the water a second <br>time (you really don’t want to know). <br> <br>Somewhere during the morning, I actually got bit, using my trusty left-handed Penn 500 reel. It’s been <br>awhile, and there’s nothing more exciting than to see your line suddenly leave the spool a lot faster than <br>the current takes it out. Then, after a few seconds, you shift the reel into gear, and then start reeling in for <br>all you’re worth! Once you’ve done that, and there’s a nice bend in your rod, you can yell “Hook Up!” <br><br>After that, it’s just a nice fight around the boat and over and under the other people. It’s a good thing we’re <br>all friends, because we ended up bumping into each other quite a bit. <br> <br>One of the hottest bites of the day came on a spot where we had caught about 12 fish. At this point the <br>skipper started the engine and was about to leave. Suddenly, someone hooked up. Then another person <br>did. Larry Natsume looked at me and asked “so are we going or staying?” Well, we stayed, and I think we <br>took about 50 longfins at that stop. <br> <br>Earlier, Pam Sharp saw me putting on the ol’ Scopalamine patch, which kicked in and I was able to fish <br>without feeling too badly. At one point, I was fishing near Bob Mode, when 2 guys were both hit. I asked <br>him “what are we doing wrong?” Well, it didn’t matter, because a few minutes later, we were both hooked <br>up with some nice 10-15 pound albies. <br> <br>As a clever student of fishing, I copied one of Ken Gandy’s 5 foot casts. I bettered him by casting 3 feet <br>out. Shockingly, I got bit rather quickly with a pretty pathetic cast. Another time, I was listening to Bruce <br>Roberts explain how he kept hooking sharks when I got hit again. Sometimes, it’s just dumb luck. Joe <br>Felker told me that he hadn’t boated one yet, but he eventually pulled down 2 nice ones. Mike Skibba, <br>showing off his fancy new Relief Band, also got about the same results I did. Well, it was worth a try. <br> <br>Guest Ted Lowe was fishing with a jig, while most of us went for live bait. There was a good amount of <br>anchovies, which the longfin love. Guest Lisa Mckellar showed off her prowess in fighting a nice fish, but <br>unfortunately, the cheap Frank Robertson special rod broke in half and she lost the fish. Whoops! Tony <br>Mark took home a whole bunch of albacore. It still amazes me that a man with bionic knees can still get <br>hooked before I can even get to the bait tank. <br> <br>Another new face I met, was Pat Knox, who showed off his skills, pulling in fish after fish. Don Smith also <br>added to the total. The other Don, Stratton, didn’t catch any whitefish, but he did put a massive hurt on <br>some poor unsuspecting albacore. Jack Giauque, borrowed one of my Marezine, and it apparently helped <br>him a lot more than it helped me. He and Bruce Roberts caught fish after fish. Bruce won the jackpot with <br>a 20 pounder! Congrats! Eventually, we put at least 170 albacore below decks. I was shocked to find out <br>my fillet tab was higher by 2 fish. It’s a good thing I didn’t spend much on food, due to my condition. In <br>spite of the rough ride, and nausea, it was definitely a great trip! <br><br><br>