Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What paint to use on plastics?
[size 1]I want to paint some eyes, spots, etc., on some soft plastic lures (Sassy Shads). I've tried using Majic Markers in the past, but the colors didn't stay, they rubbed off on other lures. What do you all recommend? [/size]
[signature]
I have had good success with Laquer paint. I use it for painting the crankbaits I build. That stuff is impossible to get off anything, especially your hands! I have used my hand-made wooden crankbaits with just the laquer paint and no epoxy with good success. I have some lures I have made that are 3 years old and the paint is still good.
[signature]
Chef-

Have you tried it on soft plastics??
[signature]
I have used it on plastics a few times. It stays on better if you scratch the surface a bit w/ fine sandpaper. It should last you a while unless you are really banging those rocks.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Don, I have been custom coloring plastic baits for over twenty years. I have tried just about everything, and here are a few of the things I have found.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. A good permanent marker will color the plastics...permanently. Some work better than others and some plastics take colors better than others. It takes some experimenting. However, as you have no doubt discovered, the colors tend to "bleed" into the rest of the plastic and the whole thing becomes the new color after a few hours to a few days. If I want to add eyes, stripes or vertical bars on a plastic body, I carry my markers with me on the water. I do up a couple ahead of time, to allow the color to "take", but not enough that I will have a lot left over to turn unuseable before the next trip. You can even do them one at a time, and blow on the colors to dry them. Chances are, you will lose the jig before it bleeds out anyway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. There are several commercial "worm dyes" on the market. These are primarily for dipping to create two tones or to color clear plastics with your choice of other colors. I use them a lot for that purpose. I also use them for spots, dots, eyes and stripes, by applying with a small brush or stick, rather than dipping. Use a small headed finishing nail for spots and eyes. Dip it into the color solution and then apply softly to the place you want the spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Most paints...enamels, lacquers, vinyl, etc...will eat up the plastic, or vice versa. The paint does not set completely and peels off with the first cast or bite.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. There are some new products advertised as being designed for painting plastic baits, but Sadly I have not tried them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have played with the shad bodies and other swim baits a lot over the years. I especially like to add a color line down the back, or a stripe along the sides. For the most part, I use Sharpies and a line of markers I get in art and craft shops made by Design. I probably have almost 50 different colors by them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

TD, I was wondering about "painting" with worm dyes. I'm glad to hear it works. I'll try that and the art/craft type markers. Sounds like I just need to plan to only color up a couple at a time shortly before I plan to use them.

How about glues for soft plastics? I've tried doing some customizing of some swimbaits (Sassy Shad type) to hide the jighead and bury it inside the plastic, but my drilling has not been without error and I need to glue some rips and fill in the hole around the jighead. I saved the soft plastic shavings created when I drilled the holes for the jigheads. Any suggestions on (1) material to fix the tears, and (2) material to fill in around the jigheads in the hole I created?

Thanks again.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Sounds like we got ya on the road to the color thing okay. Now ya gotta figger out the "repairs".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good news. Plastic baits are formed by melting plastic and pouring it into molds. If you heat the ends of two pieces you want to join, just until they are sticky, you can put them together and hold until they harden and bond. Some guys mess around to create some nasty lookin' hybrids.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a small alcohol burner, or something similar, you can do heat repairs on damaged plastics. Takes some practice to get it right, without "meltdown". Gotta keep moving it around to get an even heat and watch for the edges to get sticky.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To fill in holes, just melt some of your shavings, or salvaged baits from previous trips (if they get trashed but are still recovered). Use the end of a small stick or rod to dip the melted plastic into the gaps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you wanna get serious, you should check out the molds, materials and guidance offered by Barlow Tackle, in Texas. I get a lot of stuff from them. They not only have some of the greatest selections of plastic baits, but all the stuff for making them too. Just reading what they have online can give you some help. And, who knows, if you really go wild, and get creative, you could come up with your own line of plastics. How about "Donkos" instead of Senkos?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the other hand, there are several new fishermen's glues on the market. They are great for finishing the knots on superlines, and some are touted as being good for anchoring plastics to jig heads, etc. I have not tried them, but the idea sounds good. And, if they work for that, they should work for minor repairs on the plastics themselves. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also suppose that the cyanoacrilate "super glues" would work to a certain extent. Have you tried those at all? As we all know, there are many chemicals that dissolve plastic baits easily, so you should always try something new on a bait you have already given last rites.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's the link to Barlows:[/#0000ff]
[url "http://barlowstackle.com/"]http://barlowstackle.com/[/url]
[signature]