Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new float tube??
ok i just recieved a new tube for my b-day. its a trout unlimited gunnison u-shaped tube. do any of you tubers have this tube and have any pros/cons to this tube. seems like it should fit all my needs and be a great little tube to scoot around in but was just curious about others experiences etc...
[signature]
That is a nice tube to start with. There are a few of them "floating around" on this board as well.

Is that your first tube or an upgrade from what you have?? I have heard alot of good things about the TU gunnison. I found out earlier that they have a 3yr warranty on the bladder and a lifetime warranty on the shell. It's hard to beat a deal like that.

There is only one downside to some of the tubes and I'm sure many will agree. You have to learn to take only what you will need and not all the stuff that you want. It does take time to adapt but it can be surpassed.

Way to go and good luck on a fine tube.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
Thats the exact tube I float and I've floated some rather big water like Lake Powel & Flaming Gorge, not to mention Utah Lake on some rather rough days when even the boats hauled A** for cover, what a ride!
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Happy birthday...you scored a good craft. The design and the quality make it a good "ride".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I jockeyed a Trout Unlimited "Kennebec" for a year or so, before going to the Outcast Super Fat Cat. I was pleased with the overall quality and the higher ride, compared to most craft. The pointed bow is also a good feature, as discovered by Coldfooter. It really helps when the breezes kick up. In my pontoon style Kennebec, I had a tough time keeping the craft moving where I wanted to when the wind started blowing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only negative I find with the Trout Unlimited craft is the pockets. They are plentiful, but small. That's okay if you use only small fly containers or lure boxes. However, if you want to carry larger boxes with bass lures and plastics, like I do, you will need to downsize your boxes or "modify" the pockets to take the bigger ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bottom line? You done good. Now, how are you outfitted with waders and fins? If you need any help, come on back and we can give you some input.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Wink][Smile] Hey Code congrats on the new tube!!
I wondered why your little brother called and only needed to 1 tube insted of 2. where did you guys decide to go?
[signature]
hey mike i think wednesday we're gonna try and hit some high uintah lakes somewhere and thursday we might hit scofield or somewhere not sure on that
[signature]
this is an upgrade i guess. this is my first tube but i used my fathers older donut tube a few times and borrowed from fishnpro40 too. i kinda have the take what ya need thing down. alll the papers that came with it said everything was under warranty for one year after DOP so i'll have to look at that
[signature]
thats good to hear! good to know that its up for that kinda stuff
[signature]
James over at hooked was telling me Rockport has been good off the west side for perch and trout. If your dad wants to use one of my tubes instead of his round one he is more than welcome to it.
[signature]
i noticed this with the pockets but they seem to be big enough to hold my largest boxes so unless the lures and tackle start flowing in i should be ok i have waders and fins but i might be purchasing a new pair of fins this weekend any suggestions??
[signature]
Turbo fins. $30 at Sportsmans. They are white in color and are flexible enough to make them comfortable to use. They are easy to adjust and are long and skinny instead of short and fat which I think gives them more thrust. Unless you are looking to spend a lot more I think these are the best fins especially for the money.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]There are several considerations in buying fins. First, you don't have to buy the most expensive to get good tubing fins. But, you should buy as good as you can afford.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most serious tubers prefer the heel strap kind of fins, with big soft foot pockets for comfort. I use the Mares Plana skin diving fins, but there are many that will work fine.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should never buy fins according to your shoe size. When you float tube, you are wearing extra socks and waders, so the fins will need to be larger to accomodate the extra layers without constricting your feet. Constriction shuts off blood flow and that leads to discomfort and your feet getting cold faster.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually advise that you take your waders and booties (if applicable) and try on the fins to be sure they will be loose enough, without being too loose. You should be able to snug them up with easily adjustable straps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a lot of difference of opinion as to how large your fin "blades" should be, and how flexible. Consider that propulsion is a direct result of the amount of force you can apply against the water. The larger the blade and the stiffer the blade the more directly your kicks are translated into propulsion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That doesn't mean that you need to look for a five foot fin with no flex in the blade. If the blades are too big and too firm they will beat you to death. There has to be a balance so that you can get good movement but so that you do not have to work too hard either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To make the right decision, you need to evaluate your size and current level of physical conditioning. If you are large and strong, then go for the gusto. If you are smaller and/or if you have not been doing much exercise to strengthen your kicking muscles, you should start with smaller and more flexible blades and upgrade when you are in better shape.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is not bad to have a couple of sets of fins. You can lose one on a trip, or just plain want a different "ride" under certain conditions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for the info TD gawl i love reading your posts they is good!
i'll keep that stuff in mind. im thinking that i'll probably get another similar to the ones i've been using the seem to work just fine for my needs

fishluvr: if im in sportsmans soon i'll have to look at them, in my price range so i'll have to see what i think

thanks for the info guys and every one thats chimed in thier two cents
[signature]
I know this is a old thread but thought I would update it a little with some new info as it is in the best of the best and people still look at it. I have had a Gunnison tube for about 8 months and loved it until I had a problem with the cover skin failing. One of the seams didn't get sewn together properly and pulled apart. The tubes are only warrantied for a year now and not by Trout Unlimited. Trout Unlimited has you send them all your info when you buy the tube but will do nothing for you when you have a problem. In fact they have been nothing but rude and a royal pain in the rear about the whole thing. Hold on to your info and receipt and save it all for Classic Accessories as they are the ones who warranty the tube and are great to work with if you have your info and receipt.
They have changed the apron a little which I think was better the old way but still love the tube. If you have as much tackle as some of the people I've met on the board the pockets are too small but have been big enough for everything I've needed. Love the tube but just beware of trying to get Trout Unlimited to help you if you have a problem.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the info and update. Hope you are good to go now. We will have to take that puppy out on the water for some walleyes soon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started out MANY years ago by stitching together my own funky covers, before there were any on the market. My sewing jobs were not pretty, but they held me in my old rubber tubes. Over the years I have had quite a few seam failures. They are always a pain in the bass, but if you have a good needle and thread, you can usually put them back together. Of course, it is nice to actually have a manufacturer stand behind their product, but I have come to expect having to do it myself. The fish have never complained.[/#0000ff]
[signature]