Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello all!
I just wanted to say Hello to all. I have tubed in the past and started back, because I had to sell my precious boat. I now have an excuse to hit the remote areas for some good small water fun. My tube is shot, so I am looking into a new one. I sent a PM to Tubedude about the fishcat, but I am still Undecided. I like the Togiak, because the apron looks nicer. The back storage area on the Fish cat looks like it would ride better in the water though. The mesh on the Togiak might slow me down with water intake. They both are about the same price, so what to do hmmm. I will most likely be happy with either one.

Thanks in advance to all replies.
Parstealth

P.S. I bass fish and flyfish.
[signature]

Yo parsteath,

With that name I thought you might be a StealthRider owner like myself! Please look at the Outcast 'Super Fat Cat'. That will be my next tube. Did I mention the super fat cat? There is a model called the super fat cat. Some guys really like the super fat cat.

JapanRon
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Parstealth, another big welcome to ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got your PM and replied. Let me know what else I can provide. I am sure you have already looked at pictures and specs for the FC4, so I won't bother with those.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a couple of considerations between the FC4 and the Togiak...both fine craft and good investments for the money. You mentioned the apron. That is the one issue I have with the Outcast craft that ruins an otherwise complete love affair. Their aprons are wimpy. The Trout Unlimited craft (Togiak), on the other hand, provide good aprons for fly flingers who need someplace to stack their coiled line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The reverse comparison is applicable when it comes to pockets. As I have stated several times in different threads on this forum, I love the long deep pockets on the Outcast line, and did not like the smaller (but plentiful) pockets on the TU craft. It just depends on what kind of fishing you will be doing most and what size your fly and lure boxes are.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have heard no adverse reports on the Togiak being difficult to power or steer because of the mesh compartment. If you are properly oriented in the water while kicking for speed and distance, the uplifted and pointed bow (stern) of both craft ride mostly above water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, you will make your own decision, for your own reasons. Unfortunately, there is no single craft that has all the options and features that appeal to everyone. Some come closer than others, but there always seems to be a couple of "trade-offs". [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks guys.

I am considering the Togiak and the Fish Cat for money reasons. They are both $139, the Togiak is at the OKC BASS PRO, so I would have to pay tax. I have seen the Fish cat at RIVERWIRE.com and ships with no shiping fee. One would be instant pickup the other a few days or more for shipping time. I convinced the wife that its just one payment instead of several like a boat.LOL

One thing I was wondering about is the Fish Cat warranty. On RIVERWIRE.COM the details list 5 year warranty. Other web pages say 1. I know the Togiak is 1 year.

The apron is winning the battle for the Togiak. The Fish Cat almost took the cake till I saw the apron. I have never had an apron on my tube and its a real plus for me. I could live with the many small pocket routine(I had one on old tube and it barley held a couple of fly boxes). I just hope it doesn't sit to low in the water behind the seat. I don't want to be fighting to stay up in a agressive position.
[signature]
Forgot to mention I am 5'9"@ 180lbs. I am into tournament bass fishing(which I have done very little[url "javascript: addTag('Sad')"][Sad][/url]). The new Idea is a Tube club that does bass fishing. So multiple rod holders,tackle holders, depthfinders,coolers,fishtanks, HDTV and DVD , OPTIMAX OUTBOARD. You know just a few things for the craft. I do like to tinker in Flyfishing also. I live in Oklahoma and I do have the wichita wildlife refuge to fish. That requires some hiking to small interconected ponds, but good fishing with no boats.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]If you have never had an apron, any apron is better than none. A few threads back, we discussed some of the modified aprons I had rigged on the Outcast...including a hard model fashioned from the lid of a large plastic container. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you have had the use of an apron, it is hard to do without a good one. They are useful not only for holding stripped line, while fly fishing, but for tackle tinkering, working with landed fish, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fear not about either the Togiak or the Fish Cat 4 rocking back in the water very much. They are very stable, and at your weight, it is doubtful you would strain their stability. I weigh over 250 and unless I really lean back hard, my Outcast stays pretty level on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can't verify the warranty on the Fish Cat 4. But, I got my Outcast from Riverwire and was pleased with the fast delivery and not having to pay the shipping. I suspect that whatever they posted in their info is reliable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most float tube warranties are for a year. If there is anything materially wrong with your craft, you will find it quickly. Once you have it broken in on the water, it is unlikely you will experience any defects in the materials or fabrication. Punctures and user-caused damage are your own responsibility anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hello Parstealth, Welcome to the BFT message boards and to the Float Tubing forum.

I already mentioned in a previous post about the FishCat 4 and its smoothness and ability as well as its reliability. Keep browsing through some of the newer posts. I included some pics of my craft.
[signature]