Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
I have to say, everything I heard from strawberry this year had me thinking the trip was going to be a poor one. Well, it was the best trip I have ever had up there. For numbers that is, size is still way down from years past, but the numbers are good. The first evening I spent finding what the fish wanted and how to give it to them, by the next morning, it was all fiqured out. We caught around fifty fish each day, between two poles. Heres what worked for us. Pot o gold spoons in red and white, let out about thirty seconds, then cliped on a downrigger and dropped twenty feet. Troll at 1.8 mph north of the inidan creek boat ramp and in the narrows between strawberry and soldier creek. Early mornings were not super productive with this method the fish seemed to be hitting powerbait at that time. We didnt want to keep them so we just waited. All day from then on and evening the fish were biting on the troll. We wanted to let all the cutts go and just keep the rainbows and it worked out nicely because we only got three rainbows the entire time, the rest were cutts. The guys fishing the bait were getting more rainbows. My only other piece of advice would be to bring the fish up slow if you get them beyond 15-20 ft. We stop the boat on each fish and play them slow and we had several that were blowing bubbles when we got the to the boat. You have to catch and release when you get into that many fish and we need to catch and release fish that will survive, bring them up too quick and they dont seem to do too well. Any body have any questions, feel free to ask, I know lots of guys have been going up and getting skunked so I pretty much said it all, but if you are headed up and want more info, let me know.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Great report on Strawberry. Did you make it to Starvation? WH2<br><br>
Nope, didnt make it down. The fishing was so good I couldnt talk anyone into the trip. Too bad because I have heard that this is the time of year to go. Maybee next year. <br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
What about Willard, have you been since last week? WH2<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wiperhunter2 on 07/28/02 11:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Hey Mike did you try for any koke's.<br><br>
Yeah, whenever I saw them on the graph, I dropped down to them but with no luck. Didnt see anyone with any at the cleaning station, or talk to anyone who was catching them. I believe they spawn in august so they may be easy to locate near the river mouths. <br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Just so you know they spawn near the end of Sept. not aug, since i dont have a boat its really the only time i can get to em.<br><br>
Thanks frozen, I knew it was fall and figured it had to be coming up. Just glad you were able to clear that up fpr me. Now wonder I am not up to speed, the ducks have my heart soul and brain at that time of year. The anticipation is a killer, just be glad they dont have a season on the wiper fishing. The anticipation and waiting for that would probably kill me.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.