Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.F. Duchesne 8-14-04
Went out for our annual family reunion trip. I didn't fish too much but The fishing was good for the planter Rainbows and a few Brooks around the campground. The river was low but not too bad. FM [signature]
[signature]
I have NEVER heard of anyone else that fishes the NF of the Duchesne! That's where I learned how to fish. My family has been going up there since just before WWII.

I haven't been there in about 6 years because of committments to school and church, but my family still makes it up at least once a year. They say that it has gotten to be a really popular place. Also, the fishing has been rough the last few years because of the drought. The DWR hasn't been stocking the rivers as much. My dad was up there last weekend though and did quite well. This was his first good trip up there in a long time.

Man I love that place!
[signature]
I also fish the N.F. of the Duchesne. My moms side of the family is from up there and my uncle has a cabin in Hanna. I fished the N.F. a few months ago and it was slow. Sad that the DWR between drought and whirling disease in the hatcheries don't plant the rivers much anymore. Hopefully with the hatchery improvments they will be able to resume this. And not with the little six inch fish they plant now, but the 12-13 inchers they used to plant.

They Duchesne down thru Hanna and Tabiona can be good for wild browns. And I prefer to fish down there now. But its not the best place to teach a young child to river fish. If the action isnt fast they get bored. When I was just learning to stream fish my dad would take me up there or the N.F. Provo River and they were always planted with nice sized fish. Both of these rivers now are seldom planted so all that is left are the wild fish, which are not as cooperative to teaching youngsters to fish.

I've also have noticed that their are people up there now. It has been that way since the paved Wolf Creek Pass. On the other had you can get up there faster. I guess all the people is the price we pay for a nicer trip.

John
[signature]
My family has had a reunion at the Aspen campground the second Saturday in August for almost 30 years now. It's also the river I learned to fish on and that has been over 20 years ago now. It's true that the fishing hasn't been good the last couple of years but the water is up a bit and they must have stocked it this year and the fish were good sized. It's also true that there are many more people up there than there used to be. I remember when I would rarely see anyone fishing that wasn't a relative and most of them were near the campground and I almost NEVER saw other fly fishermen but last year there were people every hundred yards or so up the river as far as I went and many of them were fly fishing. The paving of the road has had its consequences. Send me a p.m. Shrimpboy if you want to chat some more.

FM
[signature]