Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota deer numbers remain high
While last year's record kill helped hold Minnesota's deer numbers in check, the population remains high thanks to abundant habitat, readily available food and another relatively mild winter.
Statewide, deer populations have been reduced locally by the advent of over-the-counter antlerless permits.
"We observed increases in the percentage of antlerless harvest in managed and intensive permit areas," said Lou Cornicelli, big game program coordinator for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in St. Paul. "In some areas, as many as two-thirds of all harvested deer were antlerless."
In those permit areas, deer populations were either stabilized or reduced; however, in lottery permit areas, the intent is generally not to decrease deer populations. Additionally, research biologists recently refined the deer model so previous estimates are not directly comparable to previous years. Using the new model, the statewide deer population is estimated at 1.2 million deer.
The firearms deer season will open Nov. 6, archery deer season will begin Sept. 18, and muzzleloader deer season will start Nov. 27. Info: [url "http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/"]www.dnr.state.mn.us[/url]
[signature]
In central Minn where I live , its not uncommon to see 50 deer a night on a 5 mile drive with the family , maybe thats why you can harvest 5 deer again this year !!!

[signature]
So did you get your buck tag? I got mine[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
In Minnesota , you always get your buck tag , plus you can get up to 4 doe tags too !!!
[signature]
Well if you got all 5 deer you could feed the family for a looong time[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
WITH A FAMILY OF 5 , IT DON'T STAY AROUND LONG !! THE MAIN THING IS TO HAVE IT MADE IN STUFF THAT EVERYONE WANTS ( JERKY , SAUSAGE , HOTDOGS , ETC ).

>
[signature]
WHAT!!! NO PEPPER STEAK[url "javascript: addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url]

Catchum told me today he is going bear hunting this year, he drew a permit for michigan...
[signature]
When does the bear season open over there ?
Both my baits aer getting hit , but they seem to hit after dark , so I'll have some training to do to get them in earlier !!

>
[signature]
I think they get a week some time in september and then another week some time in october if they did not get one in sept.
[signature]