Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube/Pontoon safety checks
This is one subject that was pounded in my head for the last twenty years in the navy that i can cross over to on the lake. and give something to the begginers just getting starting on the water.

Safety checks both craft and personnel equipment

1) Lifejacket or PFD-check it and wear it before going out into the water. Also check for tears and degradation. Replace if defective immediatly and discard old.

2) Check float tube or pontoon bladders for signs of detoreation, i.e dry rot in the rubber, holes in the outer skin, replace as necessary. On pontoons check the metal frame for stress cracks in the metal during assembly. Do not exceed the rated weight capicity of these craft.

3) Test and Pack away a small 2 way emegency weather radio to keep track of unexpected storms. Replace the batteries before and after each trip and carry some spares tucked away

4) Tuck away a small first aid box (preferablly with a hook removel kit in it). make sure you inventory this before going out on the water.

5) keep a mutitool i.e gerber or leatherman handy. they have a million and counting uses.

6) alcohol and water don't mix period! nuff said

These are just a few off the top of my head. Feel free to add any

Safety is job one out there, hope this helps someone.
[signature]
Some areas recommend and or require a whistle or air horn for signaling boats in the area when they are too close to your watercraft.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]Add a flashlight, matches or lighter, and a pair of binoculars. Lots of potential uses for the latter, including watching for fish action and closer inspection of pulchritude. (female anatomy).

Good topic. An ounce of prevention can prevent pain, embarassment, frustration or worse.
[signature]
How's about a small air pump & hose?
[signature]
Hey there Stoneyman,

On the PFD... mine is both self-inflatable and manual so it's a good idea you've not a corroded air cylinder.

With my stealthrider, the air filler is nearby so I have a vinyl 3 foot hose with air filler adapter in one of my pockets ready to go.

Make sure you don't have any sharp objects in your storage so that when you over-stuff them with gear or super-inflate your tube with stuff in them..... a leak doesn't appear!

I've got a mast/orange flag for my tube but you need at least 12 by 12 inch color square to be visiable and meet the regs.

If we put our heads together we could go on all night. Oh ya don't forget your meds.

JapanRon
[signature]
I remember that this thread came up late last year. It is a good refresher though as well as a reminder.

Don't sell yourself short for safety issues on the water. Your life may depend on it.[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
Don't forget the wrist rocket (or machine gun for the larger pests) to ward off those pesky jet skiiers or Iconocrastic Paul's patented snag rig for hooking into some lunker water skiers [url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
I don't have room for a wrist rocket on my craft. I think the reason is that the RPG amunition takes up too much room. hee hee.[url "javascript: addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
Hey there Coldfooter,

I tried using my dry cell power 'Mr Bubble' air pump I use for my on-board live bait reciever and direct it into my tube while in the water and it didn't have enough push to put any amount of air in the bladder although it did so so on dry land! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]