Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report 08-21-04
Wiperslayer and I fished Willard yesterday from 8:30am to 12:30. We didn't catch any fish until right before I had to leave but in 40 min. we boated 4, nothing over 17 inches. The picture I'm posting is the island out from the south marina. The water was so shallow I couldn't get any closer but it was even worst in the channel to the south marina. The dredge was sitting right in the middle but from what I could see it was several feet below the entrance to the south marina. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Urbanforester and I went out there yesterday. We launched at 4:00pm and fished til dark. Man, you know it shallow when producers are hitting bottom! Just as WH2 said, the fishing was slow but we did manage one nice 23" wiper. Urbanforester caught him on a black and silver Rattlin' Rap. We did have a few more hits but no more fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The cool thing about the trip was meeting up with an old California high school teammate and friend. I hadn't seen him since high school and ran into him on BFT/Utah 25 years later! He's living in Orem now. It was a lot of fun talking old times. It made the slow fishing a who lot more tolerable. Thanks Marty![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Fished willard today with flyfishingmoose and uncleray launched my boat out of the north marina at 8am went out halfway yo the light pole and wind really got bad and waves came up turned the boat around and headed back to the marina, ffm and uncleray fished the marina for cats till the wind died down, uncleray got a couple of bites, wind died down alittle so we went back out and tried it again and the wind came up again so we ancored just outside the north marina and threw out for cats, ffm caught a 13 in cat just sittin there. sat there for awhile and enjoyed some salsa. went out and tried to troll again and turned back around and headed back, ran up on a gravel bar and after that the gas engine wouldnt stay running so we went back in on the electric, gave ffm directions to the sw corner so he could fish some more and i left, was a slow day fishing and the weather didnt coperate but at least the salsa was good.
[signature]
From all the reports from Petty and Crestliner about the catching being best earlier, we thought it would be better earlier. We did not find any actively feeding fish until it was almost time to leave, I think we could have caught more if we would have found them earlier but still, it was a nice morning.
A 23 inch wiper is a great fish even if it is the only one you caught. We caught our fish near the light pole, what area did you catch your big guy? Meeting a friend after 25 years and meeting him on BFT, wow, what are the odds. Thanks for the report Rich.
[signature]
Rich sounds like you guys had a nice reunion, thats great. I've got a school/fishin' buddy that moved to Alaska 25 years ago that work on the Pipeline on the north slope. We always try and go fishin' while he's in this area. He's invited me up to jerk jaws with him several times but I've yet to make the trip. Suppose I should before time runs out, huh?[laugh]
[signature]
I was fishing the north side too but we did have some luck .We landed 1 wiper out of about 7 hits.We ended up with 4 channel cats betweeen 12-18 inches.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]WH2, we trolled along the north shoreline to the westside. We got our only fish and other hits along that north dike where the water is a bit deeper, say 8 foot?[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Coldfooter, Get up there with your bud and "giterdone!". Before you know it, your chances have slipped away. You'll be glad you did. I plan to fish with Urbanforester again if he can put up with my onery a$$.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]A little tidbit for you BYU football history fans. Urbanforester's brother is Gary Shiede, the first in a string of great BYU quarterbacks. I remember watching Gary play football and basketball in high school as a jr. high student. What an athlete! All the Shiede brothers were great Antioch High athletes.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"Urbanforester's brother is Gary Shiede, the first in a string of great BYU quarterbacks." Unfortunately, the string has been broken for awhile -- and this year also looks iffy. Oh well, there is always fishing. [/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, it's been a while since BYU had a decent quarterback but for a pretty good stretch, they had some good ones, really good ones.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]