Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay with a pontoon?
What are your thoughts on using a personal Pontoon @ Willard? I am itching to try and get into some bigger fish and reports still say big ones are being caught.
[signature]
Go for it, I'm done that water in a float tube as have many others.. I would advice sticking somewhat close to shore just incase the wind comes up quickly. When the waves build its quite a ride but I'm just crazy enough to like it!!!! Heeeeeehawwww!
[signature]
I got a great test run at Rockport over the weekend, I was in the middle of the lake with my anchor set and really enjoyed the ride so I may have at it this week.

Thanks!
[signature]
I've done it a couple of times. It's probably better if you have a trolling motor on your toon, but it's not necessary. I launched at the north marina both times, but I hear that there's a road going over the dyke at the southwest corner, so you could carry your toon over there.
[signature]
Sounds good. How'd ya do at Rockport, find any good sized Perch?
[signature]
Largest perch was about 13 inches, but a bit on the skinny side, majority were dinks. Caught a few perch, friend caught 1 smally, and I landed a decent sized bow.
[signature]
[reply]
I've done it a couple of times. It's probably better if you have a trolling motor on your toon, but it's not necessary. I launched at the north marina both times, but I hear that there's a road going over the dyke at the southwest corner, so you could carry your toon over there. [/reply]
I have an Outcast Fish Cat pontoon. I was told the one I have you can get a trolling motor mounting block for it, but I cant seem to find it anywhere online. Any suggestions on where to look? I would ilke to get a trolling motor for it this week.
[signature]
You should PM Tube Dude, he knows all about those toons and can give you some good advise, plus there is a BFT board for pontoon and float tubes.
Fishcrazy did good fishing from his toon a few weeks ago and he launched from the north marina. When we were there Saturday we marked a lot of fish right out from the channel but Willard is a tough lake to fish. If you are lucky you will get into the fish, the problem is if you don't find the fish it is hard to move very far in a toon. As the water cools the fish will be more active and your odds will improve, good luck and let us know how you do. WH2
[signature]
I don't know of a motor mount specifically for your toon, but I saw several at Sportsman's a while back. I made a mount out of 2x4's for mine. it's a little heavy but i don't worry about losing a hundred dollar motor or a 50 dollar battery. I may scale it down next year.

Having a motor's nice, especially in windy conditions, or when you want to fish a long distance from your launch point. I don't mind rowing in calmish waters, but rowing in waves really sucks. Plus it leaves your hands free to fish, since you can steer with your fins.
My wife and I tied out toons together at strawberry, and i pulled her around all weekend. that's why she outfished me. I was too busy navigating.

Remember that you need to register your pontoon if you put a motor on it. It's not all that expensive (about $20), but it's a pain. I even had to get a title for mine.
[signature]
[reply]
I don't know of a motor mount specifically for your toon, but I saw several at Sportsman's a while back. I made a mount out of 2x4's for mine. it's a little heavy but i don't worry about losing a hundred dollar motor or a 50 dollar battery. I may scale it down next year.

Having a motor's nice, especially in windy conditions, or when you want to fish a long distance from your launch point. I don't mind rowing in calmish waters, but rowing in waves really sucks. Plus it leaves your hands free to fish, since you can steer with your fins.
My wife and I tied out toons together at strawberry, and i pulled her around all weekend. that's why she outfished me. I was too busy navigating.

Remember that you need to register your pontoon if you put a motor on it. It's not all that expensive (about $20), but it's a pain. I even had to get a title for mine. [/reply]
Sweet, thanks for the info. Also cant wait to hit strawberry.
[signature]