Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Rack and Tranny setup for FC4
I got some time the other day to hang out in the garage and tinker. The pics attached show the final products.

The tranducer base fits into the drink holder area of the FC4. It is attached to the same strap as the transducer.

The rod rack is a horizontal style which I am aware can cause some problems in the reeds or steep banks.

The holes you see pictured in "rodrack2" were made using a 3/4" boring drill bit. The slots were made using a hand coping saw.

Now I just need to go test it out . . .
[signature]
That looks like a pretty good setup buddy. I do have a strong feeling that some of your reels may take on some water though.

I tried a similar design on my FC4 and found out that on the water, the rack will tend to dip just a bit. Solution: A 45degree elbow on the outskirting appendiges. If that is not feesible on your set up then I would add another cross bar below and leave it looking somewhat like a ladder design.

The rack will generally dip about 3 to 4 inches once there is some weight on it. Just a thought. Let us know how you do on the water.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
I though about the reels taking on water too. On one of the pics the spinning reel is resting on the brace so that it hopefully will stay above the water line. The rods would be close enough together that I would be able to flip the reels up to rest on each other.

The rack doesn't dip too bad because of the 'legs' of the rack rest agains the bladder proping it up (theoretically) at a slight up angle. I've attached a drawing with "Option 1" being the way it is currently setup.

Since I read your response, I thought of moving the hooks (that attach to the D-rings) so as to raise the entire rack. My other hope is that with this setup I will be less likely to loose rods if ever there were an on the water emergency. I'll have to see if the rack will float with all those rods on it.

I guess I'll just have to try to hit Deer Creek this weekend to test it out.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]Hey Nate, see what happens when you get some time on your hands. Add some PVC and you can get in all kinds of trouble.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It looks good, but as you well know, you need to test it to make sure it performs as planned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tend to agree with TN2, that the reels might get wet. On my last experiment with a horizontal rack, I used the 45 degree angle connector to elevate the rack a few degrees above the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know how it flies. And then let's hit Lincoln Beach together. It's soon going to be time to assault those fishies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will report as soon as I can. Most Sat mornings I am available. For fishing that is.
[signature]
[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url][#0000ff]It looks like my fishing will be limited to weekends too. Let's watch for the reports and keep an eye on the weather patterns. As soon as the water temps start to drop, we will do a mini flotilla on Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
From your list of options, I would try #2. The longer base with the added tilt would most likely prove an emminance in stability.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
Sounds good to me. I wasn't able to make it out this past weekend, forgot about soccer games on Saturday morning.

Soon enough.
[signature]
nice design have you had a chance to try it yet? how did it work?
jed
[signature]
I took it out on the lower provo as it heads toward Utah lake. The fishing stunk. I can't believe how low the lake is. The rods all stayed high and dry though. I made one small modification by wrapping some twine between the cross bars (parallel to the orange foam) so that the reels wouldn't drop below and get wet.

Now to take it someplace where I can actually catch some fish!

nate
[signature]
if you want to hit utah lake try out from the north jetty at provo boat harbor of out between the two springs at Lincoln. That whole lake is pretty unpredictable right now though due to the low water like you said. you might try walberg bay up at deer creek though. It is not too much of a walk and I have done fairly well there this year from flotation.
jed
[signature]
Is Wallsberg mostly trout, or are there some other fishies to play with?
[signature]
A lot of people fish it for trout, but I usually fish for smallmouth and walleye. Some people catch a lot of perch there too, but I haven't yet.
jed
[signature]