Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stergeon
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what are the best conditions for stergeon fishing. I am new to this and would really appreciate any pointers. I will be fishing the chehalis in WA tomorrow and I would love to add something else to my freezer! I am more of a salmon guru myself. Thanks

Kristine
Kristine, first of all, welcome to the board! It's always good to see a new name.

There's been a couple of threads on here talking about sturgeon fishing.

[url http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...on;#134409] Sturgeon Tips[/url]

[url http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...3]Sturgeon Rigs[/url]

Hope these prove to be of some help! If you catch one, make sure you get a pic of it and please post it here.

Again, welcome!
[signature]
Hi and welcome to the BFT message boards. The aforemnentioned tips in the post really hit the spot. I wish you good luck out there and please come back with a fish report. We would like to know how the fishing is in WA.[url "javascript: addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]
the Sturgeon are sitting back in the deep slow moving pools or in dark corners of the river during the day. At night, they will come into the shallows or swim up to the base of a rapids.
Sturgeon are bottom feeders. They basically eat anything edible that they find on the bottom. Bugs, crayfish, dead fish, dead animals, snails and worms that are washed into the river are all on the menu. With this in mind, Sturgeon fishing is like fishing for big Channel Cats. An easy rig to use is a bell sinker and a hook. Slide the bell sinker on then put a small slit-shot about 3 feet from the hook. Let the sinker sit on bottom and have the hook and bait swirl around on the bottom freely. When you get a bit, let you line out to make sure the fish has it for a few seconds then set the hook. The Sturgeon will be in the deeper pools behind rapids. Sturgeon in the average between 20 and 80 pounds but fish up to 150 pounds have be caught. With this in mind, try using a medium to heavy rod with 15 to 30 pound test line. Use a heavy leader and a #10 or #12 hook. Make sure they are strong hooks.
For bait, you can use a big glob of worm, cheese or salmon eggs in a nylon sack like a big spawn bag. You can also use a chunk of meat off a sucker or carp. Remember, in Ontario, it is illegal to use any game fish, whole or part, for bait. This also includes Perch which are not game fish.[font "Arial"] [/font]
Lake Fishing
It's a lot harder to catch a Sturgeon in a Lake because they have more room. They tend to swim back and forth between points at the mouth of a bay or between islands / point to island. When fishing in the lake, you can have four hooks on one line. Get a three way swivel. Tie a 30 inch piece of line to the three-way-swivel and then to a 1 oz bell sinker. Tie another 30 inch line to the three-way-swivel and then tie to a small float. The float has to be big enough to raise your line off bottom a bit but not effect the sinker. Then about 30 inches apart, tie four hooks on the line coming from your reel and then tie the line to the three-way-swivel. Drive the boat over to a point or near an island and drop the line. Then back the boat away keeping the line tight so the baits spread out. Try taking the boat over to the other point or island, pull the line tight and wait. The float helps keep your line from tangling or getting hooked on the bottom while you are moving the boat to a different location [font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]
[/font]
[signature]
TIPS [font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]TEN TIPS
FOR BETTER STURGEON FISHING[/font] [font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]BY HIPPO LAU[/font]
[font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][Image: sturrig.gif]We have been receiving more rain, and earlier, than we have in many a year. The should be a banner year for those elusive diamondbacks. It may be your best chance to land one if you have never done so before, and here are ten quick tips that will put things a little more in your favor...

Tip #1: Location, location, location. The first rule of real estate is also the first rule of successful sturgeon fishing. Call a good tackle shop to find the latest info, ask other sturgeon catchers, hang around the different marinas, read the "Sniffer" ... do what you can to find them.

Tip #2: Use a good depth finder. Once you get to the general area, use the finder to locate the holes, troughs, and drop-offs where the sturgeon may be resting or feeding. Concentrate on these areas.
[Image: sturreal.gif]Photo by Mike Godsey

Tip #3: Anchor with great care. Sloppy anchoring will spook a large area and render a "hot spot" useless. If the boat swings with the tide, don't be afraid of using a second anchor.

Tip #4: Be ready to release the anchor, if necessary. There are any number of quick release gizmos available ... well worth looking into in case the "Big Mo" takes you for a ride. Oh, yeah, tie a float to the line.

Tip #5: Use tackle as light as comfortable. Lighter tackle = less sinker needed = better strike detection = MORE STURGEON!

Tip #6: Use the sharpest hooks possible. Whether you buy the super sharp kind from Owner, Gamakatsu, VMC Conecut, Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp, et. al., or sharpen them yourself, sticky sharp hooks will stick fish faster and easier than dull hooks. Guaranteed.

Tip #7: Thin leaders will lead to more fish. Instead of the usual 60 lb. - 90 lb. nylon coated wire, scale down to 40 lb. or even 27 lb. nylon coated wire. Or you can try some 50 lb. or 80 lb. Spectra type line. The finer the leader, the longer the sturgeon will hold on to the bait.

Tip #8: Use the freshest bait possible. Sturgeon are bottom feeders, but they are not scum sucking, garbage eating slime dogs. The most successful sturgeon chasers are fanatical about using fresh bait.

Tip #9: Shoot first, ask questions later. Not all bites are of the pump-pump-pump variety. If anything is suspicious (mud shrimp, for instance, don't swim by themselves), set the hook HARD!

Tip #10: Fish with a tight drag. Instead of setting it to 25-30% of break strength, I like to set it to 40-50% of break strength, backing off if necessary. These are strong fish and only yield to unrelenting pressure. Don't horse them, but don't baby them either.

There you have it. Now all that is necessary is to add some on-the-water time. In sturgeon fishing, as in life, the harder you practice, the luckier you get.

[/font] [font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][/url]LIGHT TACKLE STURGEON: THE NEXT FRONTIER[/font] [font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]by HIPPO LAU[/font]
[font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"]
Sturgeon fishing has been going through a quiet, yet surprising evolution in the past few years. It wasn't too long ago that these prehistoric behemoths were thought of as nothing more than mud sucking, garbage eating slime dogs. At that time, it was common belief that the best bait for one of these aquatic dinosaurs was a hunk of ripe chicken guts. Phew! I bet it took a lot of scrubbing to get that smell off of your hands!

We have since learned that sturgeon are not "just another junk fish", but a highly specialized supremely adapted creature. How else could it have survived all these millions of years without needing to evolve?

The biggest breakthrough came when someone figured out that sturgeon were actually targetable; that is, someone could intentionally attempt to catch one with the hope of some degree of success. Before that, and I'm dating myself now, sturgeon were caught exclusively "by accident", something you would hook while fishing for striped bass, starry flounder, or in the delta, catfish.

I remember reading, with a great deal of excitement, a column by beloved outdoor writer Ed Neal that "fishing maestro" (his words) Johnny Silveira had discovered that sturgeon were crazy about grass shrimp. In those days there was a thriving grass shrimp industry off the China Camp area. Not so coincidentally, much of Johnny's sturgeon fishing was concentrated in this part of San Pablo Bay. Since that initial discovery, it has been learned that sturgeon actively seek out a number of fresh baits, including: ghost shrimp, mud shrimp, pile worms, mudsuckers, crabs, and most recently, herring and herring roe.

There is no doubt that tradition plays a great part in this art we call fishing, but maybe these traditions should be questioned. From the time sturgeon were first targeted to this day, the traditional sturgeon rig has by and large changed very little. Go into any well-stocked tackle shop and ask to be rigged up for sturgeon and see what they recommend. I bet you dollars to donuts (and I do love my donuts!) that you will be shown a rod in the seven foot range with a light tip and "plenty of backbone", matched with a medium sized conventional reel filled with 30 or 40 pound test line. Perhaps if they're not too busy, they will help set you up with a rig such as that in figure 1.

After mounting the reel on the rod and passing the line through the guides, the main line (A) will be threaded through a sinker slider (B). This sinker slider holds the sinker © and permits the fish to pull on the line without feeling the weight. Next, the main line is tied to a commercially made sturgeon leader that consists of a swivel (D), three feet of 60 lb. test nylon coated wire (E), and ends with a pair of large 6/0 or 7/0 Kahle hooks on an end loop (F). For some reason, there is usually an 8mm red bead separating the two hooks.

There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about this outfit, indeed, it has led to the capture of thousands of sturgeon. It will probably be used to capture thousands more. There are, however, good reasons to gear down and go light. In the forefront of this evolution of fishing techniques are the fellas down at Hi's Tackle Box in San Francisco (415-221-3825). They will quickly point out the advantages of using lighter tackle: (1) a bite on a heavier rod that will barely register as a quiver will show up as a distinct bounce on a light tipped rod, (2) light lines can hold bottom with lighter sinkers, and (3) sturgeon are more apt to hold on to the bait with softer leaders. All of these factors can lead to more sturgeon hook ups.

Let's get down to some specifics. An "average" sturgeon rod would be something like the Cal*Star 870, a seven foot rod rated for 15 - 40 lb. test line, or the Cal*Star 500, also a seven foot rod, but rated for 20 - 50 lb. test line. A light rod would be something along the lines of a popping rod (too many good models to mention) or perhaps a faster tapered mooching rod. These rods will carry a line rating of 8 - 15 lb. test or maybe even 10 - 25 lb. test. The biggest difference between the two rods is that the "light" rods may weigh as little as one half the weight of an "average" rod! The second difference will be that the tips will seem almost noodle-like compared to their big brothers. As mentioned before, these tips will duck and bob and weave whenever something picks up the bait. With a little practice, you can immediately tell the difference between a bite and the boat bobbing around with the current, something very difficult to do with the heavier rods.

As far as reels are concerned, I think the best of the bunch is the Shimano Calcutta 400. It is unsurpassed for casting ability and its drags are super smooth. I know of one Calcutta that was used to wrestle down a half dozen yellowfin tuna in the forty to fifty pound class down in Baja, so figure it to be one tough little reel. Another reel worth considering is the Daiwa 6HM. I know, they aren't made any more, but you can still dig one up occasionally. Other reels that are a few notches down, for various reasons, from these two reels but still are worth looking into are the Penn 930 and 940, the Garcia 6500 - C3, and the AmbasSadeur SM 6600.

For all around use, monofiliment line is still hard to beat. With all the hubbub and hoopla over the new superbraids, most people have lost sight of the fact that monofiliments have gone through quite a few improvements as of late. The standard diameter lines are still preferred for their toughness and less stretch, and are well represented by Maxima, Berkley Big Game, Izorline, and P-Line CXX-tra Strong. Some people claim that the new superbraids are the cat's meow, but I've had no problems with mono, and there seems to be a longevity problem with the superbraids that the manufacturers don't want to talk about too much. With 150 yd. spools of the superstuff costing as much as one pound spools of premium mono, I'll just stick with the mono, thank you.

Leaders represent the biggest change in going light. I don't know how 60 lb. test nylon coated wire became the standard leader material, but I do know that scaling down has led to more detected bites. I thought it was pretty daring going down to 40 lb. test nylon coated wire, but now my personal leaders are made with 27 lb. test nylon coated wire. Some sharpies out there may notice that 60 lb. test uncoated braided wire has the same diameter as 27 lb. test nylon coated wire, and would therefore be as thin and twice as strong. I've already tried the uncoated stuff and have not had any particular success with it. My theory is that the uncoated stuff is reacting to the salt water and sending out electrical signals that a sturgeon can detect through those little holes that cover his nose area. (I used to know the scientific name for those little holes, but I don't have to tell you about getting older.)

There are alternative materials for making leaders that have been gaining more widespread use. Some sturgeon regulars have been using braided Dacron or Spectra in 50 to 100 lb. test, no doubt influenced by articles written about fishing up there on the mighty Columbia River. Others are starting to use heavy mono in the 60 to 80 lb. test range, and not hard leader material, either, but regular soft mono line. The reason for this big change in leader material is the growing belief that the softer the leader, the longer the sturgeon will hold on to the bait.

One final but vital piece of hardware to consider is the hook. The Kahle style wide gap hook is the traditional favorite, but it is starting to lose favor as more and more sturgeon fishermen are turning to the super sharp Japanese hooks such as the Gamakatsu Octopus hook and (my favorite) the Owner SSW hook. These hooks, even in the 7/0 size, are easily set with even a half-hearted hookset.

To rig up on the light outfit, mount the reel on the rod and thread the 12 - 15 lb. test line (or lighter if you dare) through the guides (see figure 2). Take the main line (G) and tie a Bimini Twist or a Spyder hitch (look it up in a knot book, the procedure is a little too long for this article) to form a two or three foot double line (H). Run the sinker slider (I) up the double line and tie on a #1 crane style swivel (K) with a palomar knot or double uni-knot. The leader (L) consists of a two foot section of thin wire, mono, or Dacron. The short leader is important as it keeps the bait close to the bottom. The hook is then tied straight instead of on a loop; hook ups are much more positive when rigged thusly (see figure 3).

Always use the freshest bait possible. Grass shrimp should be hooked crosswise and enough used to cover the hook. Ghost and mud shrimp should be hooked through the underside of the tail and through the body. These will be your primary baits. The major exception is fishing during a herring spawn, then the primary bait is a herring filet. Rig it straight, don't gob it on the hook. Use only enough weight to keep the bait on the bait on the bottom, which may easily be half of what you are use to using.

Sturgeon do move around a lot, so always consult the fishing reports or a good tackle shop as to the latest hotspots. If you do hit the water "blind", consistent areas include: the Alameda rockwall, China Camp, the Hamilton flats, Paradise Cay, San Quentin Cove, the Pumphouse, the area north of Candlestick (3COM Park), and piles 19 - 23 on the San Rafael Bridge. Fish these areas during tides of a five foot or greater change. Don't get overly excited when you hook up with the light stuff, smooth and steady pressure will bring your prize in. And don't be surprised if you start hooking up more fish than you used to, after all, that's the greatest charm of fishing light.

WARNING: Only use the light stuff when there is sufficient room in the area to fight the fish, otherwise your "neighbors" will not appreciate it.
[/font]
[signature]
WOW!! Thanks guys!! This will really help. I will keep you filled in on how I do. I had pretty good luck this weekend on the Hoh River in WA. I caught my limit of 2 kings 35lbs and 20lbs by 8:00am then just played catch and release all day long! beutiful weather, fishin' couldn't have been much better!!
[signature]
Hey there knhelde,

Welcome to BFT,

Seems like our sturgeon friends have a wide area in which they propagate in the US. Heard about the guys in covered wagons observing giant sturgeon in some of the great western un-dammed rivers. I heard the snake is prime territory. The California Sacramento delta region is an awesome fishery too.

JapanRon
[signature]
sounds like you have a prime fishing spot and a great area to fish grat luck and bring back some pics we love them pics.
[signature]