Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Mantua
Hello all.
Well for those of you that read my last post! My wife finley got out of bed and we were on the road at the crack of noon. but it was no good my battery was dead, and it will take a couple of hours to charge. but wait I will go buy a new one and that way I will have a spare. we are on our way. we decided to go to pine view and when we got up there the line to launch was about a block long, but you had to wait for someone to leave so you can park. well being the genious that i am i figured out that we will wait for hours just to get on the lake so off to mantua and the moss and weeds.

we got there and were able to launch right away (after the guy that had the ramp blocked, he was talking to his friends and could not be interupped) we got into the water in no time flat and were off. after a few minutes we started to have problems with the motor (i thought) it just would not get up to speed. when we stopped to fish the bilge pump was spiting out water fast enough to fill mantua in a couple of hours. now thats when my superrior intelligents took over and figured out that SOME ONE had forgot to put the plug in the boat. well we headed toward shore as fast as we could go (at this point it is about twice as fast as cold tar runs) upon getting there i descovered that the only place my boat could get to shore was at the boat launch.

To late, we were stuck in the mud and weeds. with my bilge pump recycling water and me out of the boat, up to my knees in mud, trying to pull it to shore we were getting no where fast until, with some help from some very fine people, we made it.

After we finley got back out on the lake we had problems staying in one place (the wind) and had to keep starting the boat and moving. At this point i dont care if i ever go fishing again.

It's a new day lets go fishing!
[signature]
Well after all that tell us did you get any fish?
[signature]
No fish and didn't talk to anyone that got any! I talked to four or five people.
[signature]
I bet after that trip your wife can't wait to go fishing again! I had a similar trip with my wife, but it was to Currant Creek Reservoir. Wonder why she hasn't shown much interest in fishing with me again?
[signature]
You can call yourself an expert boater now. I did that the first time I took my boat at Utah Lake State Park, good thing I was still on the boat ramp. I was starting the engine when I looked back and saw the stern full of water. I quickly jumped off the boat, got in the car and pulled forward. Had to wait about 5-7 minutes for all the water to come out. After this incident, the plug is the first thing that goes in when I prep the boat for launch. One suggestion I heard from experienced boaters is to have a routine or better yet a checklist that one goes through when preparing to launch the boat, until it becomes a habit.
Anyways, have fun with your boat and keep that positive attitude.
[signature]
scottieb,

There is a positive to everything!! The bilge should be flushed out every now and again. Your method is a little bit harder to do than the standard garden hose at home! Just teasing ya!!

I too have done the (forgot the drain plug) thing. Just be thankfull you got to shallower water and did not have a worse of a problem.
[signature]
It seems most of us have had to learn about boating the hard way. I too have backed the boat into the water without the plug in at Mantua, but luckily it was still on the trailer when I noticed it and pulled it back out to drain. What really irks me is when the &*%# motor quits running out on the lake and you have to row back to the boat ramp. We got a real good workout on Mantua one day this spring rowing against a headwind. I would have paid someone to tow me if anyone had come by. That is how you make memories though. Acey
[signature]