Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Record Day at Willard!
Yes ... records were set: BearlakeMac and I launched yesterday at 6:00 AM and docked at 6:00 PM. Let me count my fingers ... yeup, that's 12 hours WITHOUT A BITE! Well, for me that is. BearlakeMac did catch one little 6" wiper. Kind of pathetic for 12 hours with 4 lines in the water at all times. We tried all the standard wiper lures and a few non-standard ones. We tried different speeds and I don't think there was an inch of lake we didn't troll. There were very few boats on the lake and it was a beautiful day. Turns were doing a fair amount of random dive bombing but not in any one concentrated area. We tried hard to do all the right things but with no success. BearlakeMac is one of those fishermen that I would call a "gentleman and a scholar". He even helped me get comfortable to take my regular afternoon nap. Thanks for the good trip Mac. As always, I quite enjoyed it even though we didn't bring home the bacon.<br><br> --- Old Coot ---<br>Keepin the net wet
First, let's clarify " helped me get comfortable to take my regular afternoon nap". I don't want anybody getting the wrong ideas! I told Old Coot where the throwable cushion was so he would have a pillow. I hate to see a guy doing the head bob, bump his head trying to sleep in the up right positon! Now that we all got that straight!<br><br>That cold front put a hurtin' on us. But a day of fishing, catching no fish is still better than most anything else I can think of! Hopefully this warming trend will pick things back up.<br>Looks like Skeeter had about the same luck. Heck, we should of stayed til dark and you could say you fished for 16 hours, Old Coot! HA!<br><br>Hang in there, Old Coot and don't give up the wiper fishing because of one slow day! Tomorrow is just gonna be a whole lot better because it ain't gettin' no worse. Thanks for the good company. And practice your top water technique so you're ready when the top water action goes WIDE OPEN!<br><br> <br><br>
I figured as much. The fish in the tank arent doing much. I have over 100 feeder minnows in there right now and usually that is gone in a day. They have been in there for three days now and the fish arent even interested in the slightest. If this low pressure lasts a couple days and all of a sudden the fish turn on and start engulfing minnows I may just break out the crestliner and hit willard. <br>Project "Nasty Tracker" is at the halfway point, so hopefully we will be up and rolling across the water here real soon.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
Oh, and just so you know. Thats not a record. Ha Ha. I usually beat that record every year in the spring. I find myself out trolling inbetween the huge floating sheets of ice in the little open water that is available just hoping the wipers will turn on a tad early and I will get some fish. What generally happens is I spend eons trying to find routes around the icebergs and waste a lot of gas. But when they do finally turn on I am usually there. Those early spring days can be long, cold, fishless days, but like BLM said, beats sitting home just waiting for the ice to thaw.<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.