Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry 9/11 sat
Well we stopped first at the visitors center to take a look at some kokes.There werent that many in there yet.The people there said that its still a little early and that when the weather cools down a little more there will probably be thousands of them coming into the streams.The kids thought that was cool what they did in there.Well after an hour there we left fort he dam .We were there from 1pm till 745 pm and not even a bite all day.The kids decided to go after crawdads since they were all over the place.Saw 3 fish caught all day 1 from a boat and 2 from shore.We used worms on top and bottom with and without marshmellows all colors.Also caught minnows used them too all kind of ways and nothing.Threw spoons ,jigs,spinners even a crawdad and nothing!But still had fun trying to catch something.Guess i am gonna give up fishing the berry for a while till i get a boat.There was a guy and his son there and he was marking a ton of fish near the bottom migh have been kokes i guess.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, too bad the catching wasn't better but the Berry can be tough from shore. It sounds like you were fishing on the soldier creek side, one area you might have done better at is the creek below the dam. I've heard some good reports from that area. At least you had a good time with the kids. WH2
[signature]
The stream below may be better fishing , but remember it is artificial only . No bait allowed and it can be hard to fish with the kids that way .
Strawberry can be tough from shore , but I've had many good days on shore too . One thing I do is move a lot to find the fish . It is nothing for me to cover 3 miles of shore line when I fish it from shore . But I been spoiled lately with invites from MGB to go on the boat . I do like fishing it from shore because most of my big Berry fish have been caught close to shore . When the water cools down it will be better from shore .
[signature]
I agree, I figured if Ocean replied to the post I would give him more details about fishing below the dam. Now that you have stated the facts, I won't have too. I know what you mean about people catching big fish from shore at the Berry because I've seen a few big fish being caught on the shore but like you said you have to move around to find the fish. Thanks for posting the rules for that area below the dam, do you know if there is a road that goes to that area? WH2
[signature]
I haven't tried that area in a few years but it has a road down to a restroom . It is still a short hike to the river . I use to fly fish it a lot years back . I even have fished it in total darkness of night . That place gets spooky when you are all by yourself at night , but I've hook up on a few pigs out of there at night .
[signature]