Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone chasing Chukars this weekend?
Just wondering if anyone is going on the open of the chukar hunt. I love this time of year with the weather cooling off the fishing getting better and less crowded and of course all the hunts that open. Chukar is one of my favorite even if they are fast and hard to hit sometimes. Well if anyone is going good luck.
P.S. I have heard that if you carry a black balloon on a long string when you hunt Chukar they wont run because they think it is a hawk so you can get closer to them before they fly up. Has anyone else heard anything silly like that before?
What is a chukar?Never heard of it.
[signature]
I've never heard of the black balloon trick....but I guess it would work. I carry a hawk scream call, that allegedly gets them to quit moving.

Ocean, a chukar is an imported upland game animal. It is actually a member of the partridge family. They live in very steep rugged terrain, are fast at both flying and running, but they are the tastiest little buggars you can sink your teeth into.
[signature]
Ok another question.Were do you find them tasty suckers at? I am not a hunter but would like to do some eventually.Getting started is the hard part because i have never done it![sly]
[signature]
Any area that is high and rocky and that includes the mouth of any of the local canyons. I have also found them in the Stansberry mountains.
[signature]
That is pretty cool killerbee maybe I will have to try the hawk scream out where I go. I agree those chukars taste so good. Hey Ocean the best why I have found to locate chukars is to find some places like WH2 said and if there is chukars in there they have a very distinctive call that they make mainly in the morning and evenings to locate other birds. You can buy calls that sometimes intice others to call back but just listening is the best thing to do.
onelastcast I dont know if I'll get out this weekend for them because on thursday I had some minor surgery in my mouth so I don't know how I'll feel. but oh do I want to go. I like to hunt up in howell valley and around there for then and the huns.

and about the balloon they work great if yoou use a hawk call with them we use black, brown and some white when we can't find the orthers. most the time you can walk up hill on them when you use the ballons. we try to put some up about 20 to 50 yards and a few just 10 to 20 feet. most the time I hunt with 5 or 6 guys. but they all moved so now I'm on my own. and yes it does work with just one guy great. but this is not a full pruff trick it doesn't alwas work, but it does most of the time.
[signature]
It sounds like there are some people that would like to find the wily chukars. They can be found on any mountain range from the front all the way to the nevada border. They like steep rocky slopes covered with scattered brush and grass. We are lucky because there is lots of public lands that hold good numbers of birds. This time of year a topo map can be used to locate water sources. The chukars are usually not too far away. There is a study going on in the state . The people working on that study tell me the chukars had a good nesting seaon. The best way to get close these little mountain goats is a good pointing dog that will point the birds and give me a chance to climb within shotgun range. If you want you can put a collar on the dog that will imitate a hawk scream. The is extremely useful in recovering cripples.To those who get out let us know how you did.I usually wait until it is a little colder and the rattlesnakes aren't out. Gshorthair
[signature]
i havent heard anyone say this which surprises me. to hunt chukars you have to get uphill from them and walk down on them. you dont need balloons and other stuff you just need to locate them. calling works just fine they almost always answer if its early morning or evening. you need to go around the mountain from the face they are hanging and climb to the top. hike down quickly once you are within about 100 yards. they will not run then and will fly. the great part is they usually fly in spurts of ones and twos and threes and they dont normally fly very far. best put you have to be willing to hike your butt off to get to them.
[signature]