Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass fishing with ultra-light gear
I have been hearing it is a hoot, I just recently replaced my previous(broken) ultra-light rod and am ready to get back at it. I hear that the bass are quite fun on the ultra-light gear. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with ultra-light bass fishing?
[signature]
CBR well in the land of bass,cats, and perch (missouri) all we know how to use is ultra light. I think its a blast... Cause you feel everything. Even here i still chose ultra light over somthing stiffer and heavier. Now that i'm on this forum i see that there is more than trout in the state of utah. Now i just need to take a drive and go Bass huntin
[signature]
Where abouts you live? just curious, I have hit damn near every bass haven in this state minus a few was down south.
[signature]
I fish almost exclusively with light/ultra light tackle and bass fishing is a ton of fun (I have 1 baitcaster for crankbaits with some beefy line on it). Fighting the fish on such light gear makes them feel like monsters.

I use 4# and 6# Trilene XT on all of my reels and the rods I have range from 6' - 6'6" and are UL/L. They are great for lures under 1/4 oz, anything over that and you feel like you are fighting a tuna. I use UL for everything except worms and senkos. With those baits I just dont like the way I feel connected to the bait and miss alot of fish because of the lack of hook setting power. I will use a fast tipped Medium rod with 6# test for worms/senkos - grubs and tubes. You still get a heckuva battle on that rod. You can cover a ton of water with the light line and a spinnerbait - can cast them a mile.

For example, last night I caught 3 bass, (2) 1# and about a 2# they were great fun tossing a buzzbait. I can throw a spinnerbait all day long with one of these (thge little bombers). If I was limited to 1 rod I would carry my 6'6" ML rod with 4# on it - that is probably my most vesatile stick.

The only negative I have is that it is tough to set the hook on them when worm fishing or when you have to put some pressure on a fish. I have fished UL my whole life, from the time I lived in Texas until I moved here and have never had any real problems once I figured out what their strengths are.
[signature]
Good stuff to know. I do love the fact you can feel everything when whirling a nice spinner, jig or smaller rap. And the slightest hit to your lure you can feel. Can't wait to chase some smallys later in the day at pineview sunday.
[signature]
CBR, I'm stationed at hill... living on base. I know there are lots of places around just need to get it all together and get out of the house. Were trying to make it to pinview sat morning.. but won't know till maybe tomorrow
[signature]
Well, good luck @ Pineview, its a great fishery. Have had days there catching 40+ smallys.
[signature]
We been using ultra-light Loomis 720 gl2's with 3/16 bullet weights. For both senkos and tubes. The line we been using is 8 or 10 P-line flurocarbon.
[signature]
i've been using ultra-lights with 4# or 6# line for around 10 years now, almost exclusively. I'm hooked. i have 3 poles all of which are 5 feet long. They are all telescopic, as well. I bought my first one many years ago when i started backpacking in the sierras in CA and liked it so much, i've bought several more since then.
I would have to break out my baitcasting rig, if i ever get my lazy butt over to willard and try for some of those wipers.

i guess the most important thing for me is the drag setting. I keep it pretty 'loose'..not sure that's the right term. I haven't lost a fish from breaking off in many years, but i haven't caught anything over 5 pounds in that time. Hopefully that will change some day up at strawberry or scofield.

cyas