Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder on a Pontoon Boat
Does anybody have any ingenius ideas on how to do this. I've got both and want to use both, but I wanted to see what has worked for you. That and I would like to make it as cheap as possible. Let me know if you have an idea or two.

Thanks,

Hawkez
[signature]
I am in the process of researching the same thing. Check the float tubes forum, loads of helpful information has been posted there.
[signature]
I'll second what CBR had to say. I've got one of my designs posted over there that works quite nice!
[signature]
Definitely check the float tubing board, but all I did with mine was attach it with bungee cords. I have two bungees holding the head unit/mounting bracket to the top of the pontoon, and the transducer's mounted to a small 1x2 board which slips under the bungees on the bottom of the pontoon. I power it with a smal sla battery that I put in one of the compartments. Fancier setups have and will be used, but i'm pretty happy with my cheap and dirty arrangement.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Howdy and welcome to the playroom. As has been suggested, we have a separate float tubing forum in which we have accumulated quite a few threads and pics on different ways to set up sonar on flotation craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mounting your display unit on a piece of wood or the frame is usually easy enough. The tricky part is setting up the transducer so that you can install and remove it quickly, when launching or beaching, and so that it does not become a liability when going through weeds, etc. You need some adjustability.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of us have settled on the inexpensive Eagle units, especially the Cuda 168. It runs a couple of days on a SLA battery charge and provides as much info as we usually need for tubing and tooning. You can use any system you want, but the more juice it uses, the bigger the battery you will need.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Do some wandering and reading on the float tube board and then feel free to pop back with whatever questions are still remaining. It is doable.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
this is my setup,
jed
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hawkez, I have put a little money into mounting mine, but it is a quick and easy mount
Cabela's sells a SCOTTY Depth Finder Mount that will work with several models for the monitor and it is a sweat set-up for only $19.99
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036072313448a.shtml
as far as a transducer. It only needs to be even or a little shallower than the bottom of your toons. This can be achieved by mounting it on PVC and strapped to the pontoons some way, bungies is a good answer for a quick temporary mount.
I lucked out in that my frame was square aluminum tubing. Here is how I mounted my transducer:
[Image: 16450127.jpg]

As far as adding a motor, I prefer mine on the back, but I fly fish. This is easy to do. You loosen the bolt holding the head of the motor and turn it (careful of the wires) so that it is facing the same direction as the prop. This way with it mounted on the back of your pontoon will give you all forward controls in a pulling direction which is easier on the battery, plus open up the area in the front of your boat and plenty of leg room to steer with your flippers. Not to mention getting in and out of your toon. You can still go in reverse which will push you forward.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[#505000]I purchased a RAM mount and U-bolted it to the frame to mount the screen. I zip tied the wire to the frame back to the back end of my pontoon There I mounted the transducer on a piece of PVP long enough to set it in the water and put a "T" in the top. I made sure the "T" was big enough that my pontoon frame will fit through it. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]When I hit the water I rotate I can knock the "T" over getting my transducer wet, and when I am done I can simple fold it up onto my craft. It's about the most solid set up I have seen so far for a pontoon.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]I take fulll credit for the transducer mount, but using a RAM mount was an idea I stole from another member here (Hunts4bigbucks)[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]On a side note I had to use a really small block of wood between the mount and the frame to get the U bolt to sit snug against the frame. It actually worked out better since tightening the bolt forced the wood to conform to the shape of the frame and fit tighter.[/#505000]

[#505000]I would shoot you a picture but I took it apart for ice season. When it warms up I'll reinstall.[/#505000]

[#505000]Here is the original thread with pics...[/#505000]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=256256;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=256256;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]