Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qwick Sand
Oh my gosh, who has ever had to deal with quick sand?

I did once my self some 20 years ago while out running a trap line.

I had run a line about 3 miles down an army corp of enginers cannel one winter for coons rats and mink.

it had been a fairly profitable year. and on this one particular day during deer season I was packing my shotgun wearing my waders and carying my back pack down the three mile treck, I was in my youth and had no fear of any thing and was of corse fealing my oats. so carrying a full pack along with my take for the day was the every day norm, that was till the point of my turn arond where I walked 50 to the east side of the cannal for my return hike.

walking almost in my exact foot tracks from the last 30 days I slowly made my way back during a white out. not varying an inch off side of my trail I made my way back.

then all of a sudden soump!!! I dropped waist deep and was slowly going down. I remembered that any quick movements would pull me down even faster. remaining calm is your best defence in this situation.

I made a quick dission as to weather firing three quick rounds would bring some one running for me or not. and realizing I was out on a week day that my chances of calling in another woodsman was not varry likely. I gave up on that notion as fast as I thought about it.

knowing I was on my own in a life or death perral thinking fast and keeping my kool would be my only hope of survival.

gingerly I tossed my gun back behind me, if I was going down I would at least leave a marker as to where I went down.

I then tossed my pack with my traps and furbies next to the gun to lighten my load even more. my next step was a short prayr to god saying if this is my time to go let cherri know I love her.

and then I unstrapped my waders from my sholder and attempted to lay down as aposed to trying to walk or climb out of the hole. as I layed down I began to slip out of my waders to the point where I was on my belly on top the spring that had opened up with out notice.

rolling over a couple times released me out of deaths vice like grip.

I reached over and was able to pull my waders back out of the sand so I did not have to walk three miles through mud and water ice and snow bare foot.

I dawn my waders and once again placed my labor apon my back and picking up my gun I was back on the trail. a little wiser for my efforts, my reasurance that god was lissiting, and I picked up the first walking stick I could find that was 5 foot long to make sure of my ground.

ever since I never walk the wilderness with out a walking stick. and ever since I have come apon more reasons to cary a walking stick with me in the woods. [Wink]
[signature]
Excellent idea. You never know when that walking stick will come in handy. Glad you made it through that ordeal. Where would we be without you?
[signature]