Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Willard's lure eating wipers"
This is the second time in a row that I've been to Willard and lost two Producers. This was also my second best day this year, at least as far as fish catching is concerned. I also learned an important lesson, never think a wiper is small enough, that you don't need a net. (there goes the second lure)<br> We were there between 5 to 9:30pm and in the first half hour we caught 5 around the island. The first few were caught on a fire tiger rapala and after that the Producer was the hot ticket. After 3 double hookup other people started fishing the same area and the catching slowed. The water was calm but we saw no boils and few boats were around us most of the evening. It was a great day to be at Willard. WH2 <br><br>
I wish I could say the same. Fishing out by the pole has been productive for me the past two weeks but Sunday I could not even get one wiper. Fished for three hours by the pole then at 7:30 we moved closer to the island and got three. wh2 did you try any other areas besides the island and how deep of water did you fish in?<br><br>
WH2, what was the problem with the lures, I know about the split rings bending but I dont think that was the problem unless the ring on the line was bending. Was it line breaking? or just some other piece of faulty equipment? Just in case some of you havent heard, its generally a good idea to replace the split rings and hooks on those producers with salt water stuff, because they will bend and come apart after only a few fish. The lure sure seems to be a good one its just that those fish are tough on the equipment. I am assuming these are the modifications mentioned earlier. Possibly with a little extra paint as well. Speaking of lures, Bear lake mack, how have those custom lures been working out? Have you been fishing them, or are they just more tackle for storing?<br><br>UNICORN CATCHER F.L.P.
We also tried the Feed lot area when the island got too crowded, we were in 8 to 10 ft of water. We caught a few using lead core line but the Producer normally runs 6 to 7 ft deep depending on the speed so most were caught near the bottom. WH2<br><br>
Hey WH2 ... when I mentioned "modified prism shad" in a different post, I kind of wondered if anyone would pick up on that. You guys on this board are truly detail oriented, as am I, and interested in every bit of good info we can get a hold of. So, to answer your question, here is the scoop on my modified prism shad: I was out with BLM a week or so ago and he had one with some white hackle tied on the tail hook. Later on, at home, when I was straightening my tackle box, I ran across a top water lure that was supposed to rattle that I had torn apart to try to fix (fat chance). Since I couldn't fix it, I decided to use it's tail hook (which had a mostly white with sparkly red hackle) to replace the crappie hook that comes with the prism shad. When fishing with it, there were two things that I found very interesting: 1) I had two lines in the water, one with a stock prism shad and one with my modified prism shad. I never got a single bite on the stock lure. Every fish came in on the modified one. 2) Every fish that I brought in had the front set of hooks in their mouth and the rear set in their gills ... odd ...<br><br>I am going to make myself a hand full of modified prism shads to have on hand. As you all know, that may have been the magic lure for the day, but things change day-by-day. By the way, you asked about the color ... the ones I use and will be playing with tail hackle on are a sky-blue top, white belly, with laser shine in the middle.<br><br>As most of you know, those prism shads (made by Producer sold at Hooked in Kaysville) are great wiper attractors but their hooks are made of cheep spaghetti. I've had wipers bend or break more of them bad hooks than I can count. I always replace them now before I use them.<br><br><br> --- Old Coot ---<br>Keepin the net wet
That is the problem, I need to replace the split rings. It could be the split rings that attach to the line because after I lost the first Producer, a few weeks ago, I started checking my line after every wiper I caught.WH2 <br><br>
Use spring steel nickel coated split rings, don't use the stainless steel ones. Stainless steel, unless it is a heat treated variety, is soft and pliable by nature so it is not as strong as a heat treated spring steel split ring. The nickel coating is added for corrosion resistance. I've replaced all the hooks on Producers with mustard #6 trebles 2X salt water hooks. These are pretty tough hooks and should last a while and yes, I added hackles to the back hooks. This really increases the action of the lure. <br><br>
BLM... Glad those Mustads I helped you tie up have worked out.<br><br>I just wanted to point out for you other guys that we used Krystal Flash (spiraled mylar strands) instead of natural soft-hackle (marabou). BLM figured wipers would hammer the natural stuff in no time. Considering how hard wipers hit and fight, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Besides, I think pearlecent Krystal Flash is a much better attractant then the natural stuff for making lure tales. Use Flashabou if you want to try a synthetic that's still fairly tough but is a little more limp then Krystal Flash. Save the natural stuff for your flies.<br><br>
We need to tie up some of that new flashabou I bought. It's a little thicker and should hold up better. Also I think if you're careful with your needle nose pliers when removing the hooks you'll save a lot of wear and tear on those flashabou hooks. This can be tough though when the onry S.O.B.'s won't quit wiggling! <br><br>
Doh! See post below! You'd think I'm on Utah Fishfinder, doing the double post thing! That's what I get for burning CD's while I'm posting. Too much lag time for a button clickin' fool like me!<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BearLakeMack on 08/19/02 11:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Predator, You asked about those custom lures but to tell the truth, I really haven't drug (is this the right word!?) them around enough to tell. I'm sure the color patterns are close enough on most of them. What's got my fancy right now are some of the different color patterns of the Producer prism shad. There are a couple other patterns besides the blue back and pearl I think would work pretty good on given days. If it is of any interest to anyone, these lures are produced in the Land Down under, yes, Austrailia!<br><br>What do you mean just more tackle to store! I don't know about you but I'm proud to be a "Tackle Ho"! The stylish "Tackle Ho" must have all the latest and greatest toys whether they work or not! I've got a reputation to maintain!<br><br>Is it my imagination but since the popularity of these lures have increased locally, so has the price? I ordered a few from Hooked today (he'll mail them to me for $2.00; a lot less than driving and no construction traffic to deal with) I seem to recall these lures starting at about $2 now they are $3.15 a piece? WH2, what did the first ones cost?<br><br><br>
Are all you guys using the blue back white belly,and are you guys , trolling with your big motor,just curious,have been working hard and fishing little,,SUCKS,want to get out there from now tell the duck hunt starts,I have some POP-R's in my tackle box do you all think the tail hook would work off of them,just dont know anything about tying up my own?Thanks for any info.<br>TIGHT LINES.<br>Tony<br><br>
The tail hooks from your pop-rs will work fine. A #6 size comes on the prism shad. I don't know about everyone else, but yes, I use the blue back & pearl prism shads. If you can troll 2.5-3.5 mph any motor will work fine.<br><br>