Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
baitcast reels

I”ve spent a small fortune buying and testing baitcasters in the 10 lbs to 15 lbs range from an obscure brand called Bando to the most famous Shimano. I thought I’d put in my 2 cents worth especially for the newly addicted Ho who has a hard choice between the different makes and options.

My selection is based on overall quality, casting & retrieving smoothness and length, price and sheer guts when it comes to reeling in that 50 pounder on a 10lb line with a medium action rod.

[ol] [li]Penn International 955,965. I modified this reel a bit following advice on this same board changing the bushing in the mechanical brake cap to a ball bearing. The 965 is an awesome reel and except for the spool release button which should have been behind the spool like on Shimano or Abu Garcia, it performs like a champion. Casting is excellent and long on a 2-pin brake with a 7/8 oz. lure and retrieving big fish is almost as good as when casting out. The HT100 drags perform well under stress and I have never lost a fish because of the reel itself. I once pulled a 50lb yellowtail on 15lb line with little trouble. I thought the general state of the reel would have been affected especially wobble and crankiness but it was still as good as new.[/li] [li]Shimano Calcutta 250,400 200TE. There’s only one reason why the Calcuttas come in second. Because at the price of a 250 I’d rather have a 955 and although the TE is superior to the 965 its price and the drags on it are less appealing. The 250 has amazing casting power and silky smooth retrieves. As with the 965 I used an 8’ medium action graphite composite rod and a ¾ oz. Lure on 10 lb line.[/li] [li]Daiwa Millionaire CVZ 250/253A. The definite all rounder. There is nothing wrong with it and yet it doesn’t surpass the above in any respect. It’s just a great reel but I can’t rave on about it. It’s expensive but the quality just about edges the Abu in 4th place.[/li] [li]Abu Garcia 5600 C4. Another all rounder but less expensive than the above. The ideal baitcaster for a beginner on 10lb line and 1oz. Lure. All the Morrums and Eons ( and variations thereon) in the world won’t make this long time favorite any less good and extremely good value for money.[/li][/ol]

I hope my experience will help you in making your choice. To conclude, If money was not a factor and I had to choose one reel it would be the TE but I’d change the drags and if I just want simple fun on weekends the Abu 5600. For regular fishing and line and bait challenges it’s the 965 or the 250.

Go get ‘em.