Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 84 year old record goes tumbling
[url "http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1893214"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1893214[/url]

But in George Sisler's defense ichirio took 6 games more to acheve that feat.
[signature]
a few more games perhaps, but the pitching in the 1920's was much weaker, there was essentially no relief pitching, if you were getting shellacked, you stayed out there the entire 9 innings . .. now we have early relief, middle relief, late relief, the closer for the 9th . .

sm
[signature]
I agree with that to an extent. The pitchers were more durable back then. Plus they would play with a dirty scuffed up ball that is harder to see and better to throw junk with. They played all their games in the day tme, both of them were on crappy teams.

There is a lot of debate about it, but either way it is a remarkable feat for either player in either era.

I bet Ishiro could break Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak.
[signature]
now thats just crazy talk! [Tongue][cool]

sm
[signature]
Look at his numbers
[signature]
as an italian-amercian, we dont talk about dimaggio without kneeling or genuflecting first

sm
[signature]
Ah-So-Sorry [laugh]
[signature]
how long was his longest streak this year? its one of those funny records, but i'd agree with ya, if anybody could do it now, odds are it would prob be ishiro

i think others could have a shot at 30 or so, it takes a lot of luck along with the obvious skills to get to 20

sm
[signature]
Not sure what his longest streak was. I never heard of him getting into a streak long enough to start counting, but I saw that when he was closing in he was getting multiple hits per game.

I saw his monthly hit totals and he had one month where he got 58 hits. He averaged a hit and half per game for the season. He's the type of guy that can bunt a ball down the third base line while he's half way to first.

If he gets a 30 something hitting streak going next year then everyone will be all over it. Since he doesn't speak english, he'll never even know what a big deal it is until he gets the Heinz 57 endorsement that Dimaggio missed out on.
[signature]