Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How was everyones duck hunt?
I wasnt able to get out ont the opener but I was wondering how everyone else did. I heard a few gun shots in the morning so I know there was some birds around. Just wondering how it went for everyone.
[mad]Farmingon was its usual zoo for the opener. We set up early (4:00 am) to get a good spot only to have someone walk in about 7:00 and set about 30 yards from us, And thats not the worst not once but twice the idiot shot at ducks 5 feet off the water right at us. After the second time we let him know we did not like being shot at,After that he was a little more carefull. There were plenty of ducks for the first couple hours. We ended up with 9 should have had our limits but seems I forgot how to lead ducks.
[signature]
We did OK out at Howards Slough. We shot a lot of holes in the sky as well! Luckily the first shot didn't happen until about 5 mins to 8, so we got in some shootin' at the first couple waves to come off the ponds. So far that's the best I've seen out there as far as keeping to the opening time. Not a bad opener though. I did see a lot of guys on the way out that had pounded a bunch of coots! I think they are the carp of the duck world.
[signature]
I hunted at the Duck Club Sunday and had a pretty good hunt. One Teal, 2 Mallard Hens, 2 Pintails, and 2 Mallard Drakes between the two of us. We saw literally hundreds of birds, but only shot the ones close enough to the blind that we could get ourselves, we had no dog with us. Not a bad day, all big birds and great eating. All mine were shot w/ the 16 gauge before 9:00 a.m.
[signature]
Hunted the refuge with two friends. Limited out on geese by 11 (12 geese) and ended up with 9 ducks too, all mallards and gadwalls. Great hunt w/ great friends. Plus we didn't have to wait until 8:00am. Started shooting at 6:58am! What a pleasure and worth the $$ not to be aggrivated with idiots who sky bust, shoot at anything that flys before identifiying it and other idiots shooting at you!
[signature]
I think you're right. The coot IS the carp of the duck world!! I shot a couple once, but just cleaning them they STUNK! so bad I just chucked them in the trash.
[signature]
I had the time of my life for my second opener! You could almost chose which species you wanted there were so many birds. I've never seen so many ducks and geese in my life.

Got to hunt with the best shot and caller on the club and in the best spot, Thanks lindsey !

The geese sure get my adrenaline pumping, I think its goose fever! I can't wait till bad weather hits.[Smile]
Sounds like there was a better opener than I thought I cant wait for the bad weather either that is my favorite time to hunt the ducks and the geese. Did anyone go hunt Strawberry on the opener I like to get up there once or twice and hunt anyways thanks for the great posts.
My son and daughter went for the first time hunting ducks on the opener.They each got 2 Mallards.They couldn't find the birds though, they didn't take the dog.They are going again but taking the dog with them this time.
[signature]
Thats too bad they couldnt find there birds. Where did they go? Dogs are always a great addition to any hunt.