Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Report 10/9
Launched Mr. Brads Lund at 0dark thirty at the main marina. Fished the East shore between Wallsburg bay and Rainbow bay. Tried needlefish and spinners at first. Trying to hook a new state record Brown trout. Didn't last long before we switched to jigs and tried for Walleye. A couple small taps . No fish.
Trolled Rapalas across the lake to the west shore. Brad got a two pound slimer just before we got to the west shore.
Fished 35' to 55' along the steepest rocky spot. Jigs and crawlers. Brad got a 14"walleye. No more bites.
Moved to the bouys in front of the dam and fished below the hiway. Jigs and crawlers again. I caught a 11" smallie and Mr. Brad got two more walleye.One 15" and one 17". Got bites from 30' out to 75'. About 50' was where the two walleye were caught. 3/8 oz. green/chartreuse/orange fireball jigs and crawlers.
Then, we got the anchor extra stuck and had a twenty minute battle trying to retrieve it. Not real windy. Just your every day afternoon D.C. wind.
Left about 3:30.
Still a few die hard wake boarders and water skiers out. Won't be seeing them too much longer.

Walleyebob
[signature]
HEY BOB SOUNDS LIKE THE AVERAGE DEER CREEK DAY. HUNT HIT HUNT SOME MOORE. SEE YA SOON KEN.
[signature]

wow, those fish are already over on that bank line, it seems a little early this year. glad to see you getting some of them deep fish. how was the boat ramp. later chuck
[signature]
Thanks for the report Bob, they have been few and far between this year. I know I don't get to Deer creek as much as you and Chuck and some of the other guys do but it seems like there have been some big changes since last year. Do you think it has been slower this year as far as catching goes? If it has, do you think that is a result of higher water levels this year? I think the perch did better this year because of the high water levels, so this gave the walleye a lot more food than they have had in a few years. We caught some decent numbers of smaller eyes this year but those big guys were not there like they were last year. Just wondering if any of you guys that fish DC a lot had similar thoughts, if not what do you think? WH2
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red] Hi guys , hey I was wondering , do the larger Walleye go to deeper and colder water during the year like the macks? Or are they all over the place all the time? Just curious.[/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] [/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Wiperhunter,

The big ones are in their own group, seems like the year classes stick to their own. The smaller slimmer ones are the recent year class while the bigger older ones tend to be abit segrated. I have caught several good sized walleyes this year and the shocker is that I have been getting into them right near wallsburg bay entrance... I am not going to be specific here but rest assured, the big ones are still there and yes they are fat from the perch predation.

There seems to be a lot more smaller ones in there but sometimes that is the case where the older ones are either very smart or have just ate themselves out of the house and home that they just aren't interested in your presentation. Also they seem to move from spot to spot.
[signature]
Doggonefishin and I were also at DC yesterday. We marked fish right on the bottom and halfway suspended up the water column, most of it right at the Wallsburg bay entrance. We started out trolling Wallsburg and hooked into a good sized trout right at the mouth of Wallsburg. Unfortunately, it did a self-release ten feet away from the boat. I didn't bring my bottom-bouncers yesterday so I probably missed on some walleye, if that's what they were after. We also checked out the island but not much action going there. I caught some smaller walleye earlier this year, about 200 yards past the no-wake buoys at Wallsburg. Like your observation, the fish population seems to be liking Wallsburg this year.

kastmaster
I'm no expert on Deer creek but I believe they do go deep in the winter. I'm sure the guys that fish it the most will have an better idea but I can tell you that in December a couple of years ago I caught one in deep water(70 or 90ft).
[signature]
Hey Chuck, the ramp was still good.
I was trying to figure out how far it is to the end, but I couldn't see it. Maybe they will keep some water this year.

walleyebob
[signature]
Hey Curt,

Deer Creek has been different this year. But then again, all the lakes were a bit off this year. D.C. never hit seventy degrees. Usually after about mid June, the water is pushing seventy and the Walleye start setting up on main lake points near deep water. This year, they stayed longer on the flats.
We caught a few big eyes on the flats, but it was way harder to fish this year. So much salad to fish through. Lots more big Perch up shallow. And with so many walleye in the nine to fourteen inch range, I think we are cathing three different year classes of stunted fish. Haven't had a lot of good forage for a couple years now.If the water level stays up on the north end, the Perch should do real good this spring. I f the DWR would go up to Lake X and bring a couple million Perch down to D.C., it sure wouldn't hurt.
The best thing that could happen right now would be to not harvest any Perch. It will be a couple years before the forage base is back and D.C. is a decent Walleye fishery again. And that's if we get some water. Otherwise, it's just going to get worse and worse. Same cycle Yuba has always gone through.

Late for work, gotta go.
Take care Curt,

walleyebob
[signature]