Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How was the elk hunt?
I usually purchase a spike tag but didn't this year. Did anyone out there hunt the general elk opener? If so, how did you do? Share some stories, please.

Thanks,

PF
[signature]
I had a spike tag and so I went out with my dad and cousin to our favorite canyon that is up Fairview canyon and we didnt see an elk all day. We always see elk up there but not this trip.
It's funny, but I've heard the same thing from several different hunters this year--the elk aren't where they've normally been in years past. From the reports I've heard, not a lot of elk have been taken this year.
[signature]
I've got a muzzleloader tag so I am still waiting, but I was talking to one of my old fishing buddies in Vernal and he said that he would be willing to put money on the fact that he killed the first elk in Utah Sat. morning. All luck though, he said. Elk was only 150 yards away, dropped it with one shot and by the time he got to it there were eight other hunters standing over it admiring it. A decent six point; good width and mass, but most of the points were pretty short. None the less, a heck of a nice bull for general season.
[signature]
[red][size 3]My son-in-law picked up this one in the Scofield neighborhood. [/size][/red]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=6718;]
[signature]
Wow! Very nice bull! Did he take the bull on private ground, or was it a public any bull area?
[signature]
That is an awesome elk especially if he got it last weekend during the open bull hunt. Congrats.
[red][size 3]He wasn't giving out a lot of details except I know it was one of those CWMU (or something like that) areas. [/size][/red]
[signature]