Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 1ST Mack of the Season
I Went to Bear Lake marina after work to check out the mack run first hand. Arrived about 5:30 pm. There were a couple of guys fishing that had been there awhile but hadn't got anything yet. An other couple got there just after me but on the other side of the channel. Then about 30 min. later a two more guys showed up on the other side of the channel. Then another couple came at about 6:15.

All of us were using spinners and such and were fishing on the east side of the rocks out into the lake. The lake is low and almost every cast you would bring in plant growth with your lure.

About 6:30 one of the first guys there hooked up an caught about a 4-5 lb mack. About 10 min later one of the guys on the other side of the channel hooked up and again about a 4-5 lb mack. Then just before dark, a lady in the last group that came hookup and again about a 4-5 lb mack.

About 7:00 everyone left but me. That's when it was dark enough, and with the light from the marina, I could see the macks in the channel right on the rocks. None were really big, but once in a while you could see fish bigger then the 5lb range.

I spent the next several hour trying to get something anything to hit. I used spinners, tube jigs, plastic shad. Sometime I tipped with a piece of cisco and nothing. Other people were coming and not many of them were catching anything either. Finally about 9:30 a guy reported that he had caught a couple of macks on a glow tube jig. I switched to one and finally at about 10:00 I got a mack to take it. So here is a couple of photo of my first Mack of the season. I did not try to weigh it but in was 24" long and I would guess in the same 4-5 lb range.
[signature]
thanks for the report, i would like to try cisco beach sometime next week. is that where you were?
[signature]
nice report kjfn. im hoping to get up there monday if the weather holds out
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, KJ. Just goes to show that persistance pays off! We should be getting reports from Bear Lake Mack himself, you'd think by now! Wonder if he's out there today?
[signature]
id think so.
[signature]
Congrats on the catch! Nice looking fish!
[signature]
Thanks Guys for your comments. It is really early in the spawn. I was surprised to see them in on the rocks this early. I'm sure that as the weather cools and the spawn progresses that the big ones will be showing up. Last year we got several over ten pounds.

Casthookreal asked about Cisco Beach. I was at the marina on the westside of the lake. I did talk to a fisherman last night that had been getting macks at Cisco Beach in the early morning hours using "Daredevils".

Good luck to all of you in the chase for big macks (the Bear Lake kind not the McDonalds ones)!

One more thing. I did release the fish. The blood in the photo was mine. Watch those teeth they are sharp!
[signature]
thanks!
[signature]
Congrats on the fish! How deep of water were the fish in? I've been thinking of heading up and trying for them but haven't pulled away to do so yet.
[signature]
nice report.... how far off of the dike did you get him?
Joe
[signature]
Utcatman and Cje04, When the macks are in on the rocks like that you are only fishing out about 15-20 feet and in about 3-10 feet of water. sometimes you can see the fish you are trying to catch and sometimes you will see it suck in the jig.
[signature]